Going from junky blubs to LEDs, Help needed

Hey guys,
while the S is in hibernation for the winter, buffalo snow + S2000 =( , I wanted to replace some of the bulbs to LEDs.
The license plate bulb, interior map bulb, turn signals (this possible?)

Heres a link that shows the bulb #s for MY00
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/A…LRG-Results.htm

Heres a link that sells LEDs
http://autolumination.com/

I was wondering if:

1. you guys know of any other sites that sell LEDs
    and
  2. any of you have done this before, with pics plz

Thanks guys

If you do the turn signal bulbs you will need to replace the flasher unit. Most of the bulbs are direct replacements.

[quote=“newman,post:2,topic:38819"”]

If you do the turn signal bulbs you will need to replace the flasher unit. Most of the bulbs are direct replacements.

[/quote]

thats not 100% true anymore, alot of them now match the expected resistance so teh flasher unit doesnt go nuts, if it doesnt you can always add a inline resistor to make it so

autoillumination is a good site. Some of the GP guys have replaced all there interior lights and the turn signals (they also installed the needed flash module) They have a bulb assem. that flashes orange when the turn signal is needed and is a white glow when just on.

I also “el o el’d” at “blubs” in your title.

be careful with replacing turn signal bulbs and flasher bulbs. Incandescent bulbs put out WAY more light energy then a LED replacement bulb. Your light will most likely be dimmer then they should be and thats a safety issue when in blinkers, stop, and running lights.
You don’t want to get creamed because someone did not see your lights.

Suggest you buy 1. Install… and compare side by side to existing.

LEDS only focus the eam in 1 direction and that doesnt work with reflector based lamp assemlies. Their reflectors and light output is DESIGNED around a incandescent bulb with high power.

[quote=“Violator,post:5,topic:38819"”]

be careful with replacing turn signal bulbs and flasher bulbs. Incandescent bulbs put out WAY more light energy then a LED replacement bulb. Your light will most likely be dimmer then they should be and thats a safety issue when in blinkers, stop, and running lights.
You don’t want to get creamed because someone did not see your lights.

Suggest you buy 1. Install… and compare side by side to existing.

LEDS only focus the eam in 1 direction and that doesnt work with reflector based lamp assemlies. Their reflectors and light output is DESIGNED around a incandescent bulb with high power.

[/quote]

Incorrent… to a point.

LEDs actually can put out a lot MORE light than a typical incandescent bulb, you just need to use the correct ones.

The small typical BS LEDs that you see use the “small focus” point to get up the intensities but are still only putting out a very very small amount of actual light.

Now, compare a 1157 to a Osram 4 or 6 die LED or a new Luxeon K2 Flip-chip LED and any of those LEDs will put out dramatically more light for the same amount of power consumption.

Hell, where I’m working for is building Landing lights for aircraft out of both types of LEDs; that should tell you something. I’m actually making a set of driving light for my car that will be brighter and generate more light than a set of typical headlights; using only 10!!! of the Luxeon K2 Flip-chip LEDs. Yes, 10!!!

By the way… I’m a LED lighting design Engineer… I play with this stuff everyday…

Now, as for your car. Is it possible, most definetly. The flashers and heat-sinking of the LEDs are the only issues depending on what LEDs you use. If you can find online for what people have done for the flasher, I’d be more than willing to help you with the rest of the layout/design if you want.

Oh, and I’m not talking the crap 5mm stuff you see online; those work great for little things (gauges, interior small lights (AKA 194s and similar)), but for corners, tails, stop, etc; I’d use some of the high-power stuff that’s available now.

luxeon LED’s are really nice. a buddy of mine used 4 of the k2’s with lenses in a 18v drill battery flashlight with their little controller. lasts 1.5hrs and is crazy bright. :slight_smile:

Brian

superbrightleds.com

cheap, find the right ones and plug them right in.

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:6,topic:38819"”]

Incorrent… to a point.

LEDs actually can put out a lot MORE light than a typical incandescent bulb, you just need to use the correct ones.

[/quote]

sigh

^thats all very nice but my point is valid…This isnt a engineering discussion of LED vs Incandescent, Its regarding the existing products for the application. The reflector needs to be designed for the bulb.(vice versa)
LEDS, in general, can be brighter then incandescents if designed properly…
most of the replacement shit on the market is not hence the light output is USUALLY less then the incandescent its replacing.

…reason I suggested a comparison and try before you buy.

…we really shouldnt have have these :touchy: nitpick discussions

For plug-n-play you are 100% correct. What is available sucks.

As for custom, there’s plenty of options out there that will be equalivent or better.

As for these discussions, you are right as well, I was in a pissy mood from work (lots of BS about people thinking they know everything who actually know nothing, and them not listening to reason, logic, or people with the knowledge) and I apologize for taking it out here; that did come off pretty dickish.

Well, if it eases anyones secret spots…theres a handful of peole on another message board that have switched to LED corner/tunr signals and have not been in any accidents (knock on wood)

Have the people that dont think they are bringt enough looked at the applications?

[quote=“1BADGPGT,post:11,topic:38819"”]

Well, if it eases anyones secret spots…theres a handful of peole on another message board that have switched to LED corner/tunr signals and have not been in any accidents (knock on wood)

Have the people that dont think they are bringt enough looked at the applications?

[/quote]

brighness is not the issue, the way the light reflects off of the specifically designed lense is

Exactly, it’s the spatial output (light out at angles) that has the effect with them.

Most of the aftermarket ones are made with 5mm LEDs which have a very very narrow output angle to get the brightness up; most are ~6°. This is where the issues come in; they are bright in certain directions, but not in all as required by DOT. (not that most of us care, but in an accident you may!!!).

There are ways to make “good” replacements, but they will be completely custom and DIY. Nothing off-the-shelf in the aftermarket world will really compare in intensity and spatial output to a typical halogen incandescent bulb.

There are LEDs out there (the ones I listed prior) that will with only the LED (or a couple) produce enough light (At the right angles and intensities) such that it will exceed the minimum requirements needed for a STT (stop/tail/turn) or corner light. They will basically make enough light where you can use a perfectly clear and not fresnelled (no cuts/ridges/etc in the lens) lens and still meet the spec.

well what about plug and play LEDs for map lights and license plate lights?

[quote=“rugsr,post:14,topic:38819"”]

well what about plug and play LEDs for map lights and license plate lights?

[/quote]

this is perfectly fine. liscense plate bulbs make a great difference, too.