Going solar?

I should start looking into this for my mothers house as she’s by her self in Akron/Newstead and could probably get a decent kickback from putting electric back into the grid since she wont be using a lot. Also then has the benefit of having that if she ever resells the house.

She’ll never “make” money on it because you don’t sell it back to the grid. You push it back to the grid and earn credits toward your electric bill but they’ll never cut you a check for unused credits. This is why solar companies will examine your past year’s worth of electric bills and build you a system to cover right around 100% of your usage but not more.

1 Like

Interesting article. Just one of the issues mentioned:

Norling also had an explanation for why Spruce told me that our panels were working when they in fact weren’t: 3G technology. Older residential solar systems were installed with meters that communicated over 3G, he says, and when cell phone service providers discontinued 3G, those meters were forced offline.

If you leased your panels you didn’t do your homework.

Meanwhile, my 100% owned by me system hit it’s payoff point this summer 6 years after install and I still have 19 years of panel warranty left where my roof is basically printing money for me. :heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign:

^ That one concerningly short bar in July was 2017 because my system got 100% approval and final meter connection on the 19th of July, so I missed more than half the power producing days that month.

2 Likes

@JayS is yours connected to your WiFi?

It’s hardwired. The WiFi adapter was really unreliable so I made Solar Liberty come back like a week after the install and remove the WiFi adapter and run some cat6 right to my router. All the network connection does though is give me access to the SolarEdge software. If I take it offline the system still works 100%, I just lose the ability to monitor it from the app/website.

2 Likes