Golf TDI

My dad is thinking about buying me a new car. I want something with incredible gas mileage, because this is going to be my daily driver (I would be selling the Prizm to kick in for the down payment).

I tested the Golf TDI (1.9 turbo diesel) today and I have to say I’m pretty impressed. It’s a little bit of a dog, but anything getting 48mpg is going to be. Aside from the shifter (it’s not as smooth as a lot of cheaper cars), I really like the car.

Now the reason for this post: I know some of you guys are VW fanatics… What are your opinions on this car? I have ZERO intent to mod it (I’m keeping the Swift), so just let me know what you know about the car in stock form.

(as of right now, my other options are the Hyundai Accent, Chevy Cavalier, and Honda Civic coupe… I was looking into the Saturn Ion coupe, but it’s overpriced for what it is.)

EDIT: I forgot to add, the Golf TDI is one torquey motherfucker. I was pulling up a hill @ 2000rpm in 4th gear!

get the R32

my dad’s buying… so asking for anything over $17-18k is probably not going to happen.

i’m paying gas + insurance… So the TDI is looking pretty attractive. I’d love a Honda Insight, but they run about $20k.

17-18k get an srt-4

mileage. insurance.

plus, i want a car i’m not going to sink one modding dollar into. something i can use to get from point A to point B while every car-related dollar goes into building the Swift. I thought about keeping the Prizm for that, but my dad just offered out of the blue to buy me a car.

i’m buying a used mk4 tdi sometime soon… awesome cars and with a tuning box you can pull 60mpg !!!

so do you think it’s worth getting a new one? i’d probably have to commit to this car for 5+ years. what’s maintanance like after the warranty expires? i heard glow plugs can be pretty expensive.

yeah it gets expensive to get some diesel parts… but i haven’t been in the market, dealing with vw dealer visits… yes expensive.

this is why i’d go used… i’ve found decent ones with 60-80k for 7600 - 8000 which is a deal because i know vw’s last… like i said, tuned with injectors, they will get about 50+ mpg and if that’s what you are going for… you can’t beat it.

i have to go new…plus, i’m not paying for it, so i might as well go new, you know?

Assuming my dad wants to go for $280 a month, I’m probably going to get the Golf. If that’s too much, it’ll be between the Civic and the Cavalier. I’d prefer getting a Honda over the Chevy, but driving the DX coupe was almost painful…I almost prefer the Accent… the Cavalier Special Value Package was pretty nice for an $11k car.

i really, really, really wish they made a TDI 2-door. :frowning:

4 door rocks… of coarse i’d mod it a little… but you can’t beat the car… if he’s buying, might as well get new… you can tune it and get like 165+ whp and 270+ ft/lbs, with just a computer :slight_smile:

the more i think about it, the more i like the car. it’ll never be a drag racer, but i think it’d make a great daily driver.

how much and what are the details on the prism

$1600

1995 Geo Prizm
“Champagne” exterior/tan interior
1600cc engine, 5 speed
14" Borbet Type-H wheels (one bent, $40 to repair, $65 to replace)
front brakes and Sumitomo tires are five months old
138000 miles
Fresh inspection + emissions…didn’t need a cent…good until 11/04
Dented passenger fender, but it will come with an extra fender
Annoying bright blue headlights
Ford Model A-style Ooga horn

My insurance really isn’t bad on the SRT-4. I forget exactly what I pay. But 22 mpg vs 45+ for the TDI, would make it an easy decision. Diesels are good cars for Americans, it’s just that nobody realizes it…they’re all torque-y. I’d definately take the TDI over the other stuff you listed.

:gives: You change your mind more than a woman does when trying to pick out clothes. I am officially adding you to my ignore list. :sadwavey:

the TDI is really nice… the average liftime of there engine is 300k if you take care of it. i’d say go for it… especially with gas prices my buddy had one with injectors and a chip and it held its own very nicely but they are sort of a dog if they fall off boost

:turboupgrade: :cool: