Good news for tethering(Verizon Wireless Settles w FCC)

Looks like VZW got pwned by the FCC and they can’t block 3rd party tethering apps.

they cant block you from downloading the app but can they still block the use of it??

Haven’t been blocking me from using FoxFi or EasyTether for over a year now. I am by no means a heavy user though, so maybe they just haven’t cared?

This should mean all carriers can’t block tethering if they sell you a data plan you should be able to use it for whatever.

But how will they get the extra money for their tethering plans? Oh the humanity.

Not from what I’m reading. The FCC went after Verizon using a specific clause about non-restriction in the contract Verizon signed when it purchased the new C-spectrum 700 mhz band. Since Verizon bought it I’m assuming they’re the only ones using it, and the only ones covered under that contract.

That’s how I understood it as well.

eh, they give it away for free on the new plans anyway

Bump… 2015, I gave up on it around the time of this thread and didn’t bother. What’s the deal now? I’ve got a 12gb plan, not the unlimited plan and am looking to start using this feature. Is it an additional charge, do I need an app? Iphone 6, up to date OS etc. I see it as an option, just would like to avoid some crazy fee at the end of it and googling the issue was less than clear… Thx.

I use my iPhone 6 as a hotspot constantly. Have never seen any additional charges.

Note to self. Thanks

I have unlimited data and i got a text from ATT they detected tethering a while back. Haven’t tried it again.

all newer plans on verizon include tethering/hotspot (more everything, the verizon plan)

I guess it’s not kosher on the unlimited plans.

Yea I think they said they were cracking down to try to find people violating their unlimited to boot them so I stopped. I used too much data on my phone to not have it. I can see the stupid argument where if you want to use your cellphone data via computer or phone, it all counts the same. 10GB is 10GB.