GOOG vs MSFT, its begun.

So, last week news broke that MSFT is seriously trying to buy out Yahoo so as to be more competitive with Google.

Latest surveys show that the pecking order of internet search tools as:
77% Google
14% Yahoo
6% Microsoft.

Microsoft flat out said that this will be an attempt to take down Google… and has gone so far as to say that it is considering (for the first time in company history) borrowing part of the funds to purchase Yahoo ($44B offer).

Well, lol, Google responds with a pot shot.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/02/03/goog-msft-yhoo-tech-internet-cx_wt_0203techgoog.html

In a blog post, David Drummond, chief legal counsel for Google (nasdaq: GOOG - news - people ), wrote: “Could Microsoft now attempt to exert the same sort of inappropriate and illegal influence over the Internet that it did with the PC? While the Internet rewards competitive innovation, Microsoft has frequently sought to establish proprietary monopolies–and then leverage its dominance into new, adjacent markets.”

well… its true :stuck_out_tongue:

admittedly i didn’t think about chat/email portion of yahoo, it does give them a lot of control over some large markets.

Google > *

They have new apps added all the time. And most of them are free. Their search works amazing too. Microsoft is just pissed that they aren’t the top dog.

MS will have a hard time ever competing with Google in terms of industry innovation and search.

Thats because Google is a search engine, not a directory.

Google simply needs to continue doing what they’re doing and MS will be no bother to them, yahoo acquisition or otherwise. Just keep releasing products that just work better than what anyone else has.

Search engine, google > *.
Maps, google > *
Free 411, google > *
Webmail, google > *
Homepage, google needs some serious work
Video sharing, Youtube > *

And google is looking into some very interesting new markets. They’re an authorized bidder on that frequency spectrum that is going to be available when they shut down the analog TV signal next year. Lots of speculation that google is thinking about getting into the cell phone service.

If Microsoft gets Yahoo and somehow makes the search engine and maps better than Google, then Google should loose market share. Welcome to capitalism 101. People are free to go to who ever offers the best product/service. Don’t give me this monopoly BS about operating systems. You have plenty of options if you don’t want a MS OS. The fact that such a large majority of computer come with a MS OS is simply due to demand. And boo fucking hoo that a MS OS comes only with Internet Explorer and not Firefox. When I buy a new Honda should I be pissed it doesn’t come with Ford floor mats as an option? If you buy an OS from Microsoft and want a browser from another company go download it and install it. It’s not a monopoly as long as MS doesn’t block that other browser from working on their OS.

/rant

dont forget google checkout, i love that.

Google cell phones would be sweet.

yahoo.com = the largest page ranked site.

as well as the largest in fantasy sports, and others. I really hope they force yahoo mail to rich text like windows live mail… fucking jerks. PLAIN TEXT OR HTML EMAIL ONLY!!!

How are they not the top dog… Google has yet to put out an operating system that can compete in the market

Microsoft has proven themselves to be a shady company time and time again.
I have no respect for their selfish, backwards business practices.

Maybe some web developers can chime in to offer yet another example of how Microsoft FUCKS up innovation and progress by trying to force their own proprietary way of doing things on the market. This is in regards to how MISERABLE it is to code web pages for Internet Explorer when compared to Firefox, Safari, and Opera. (Browsers that actually follow established W3C standards.

I’m not riding microsofts dick… but IE still has well over 50% market share

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

And thats just who reads w3schools… the general public has to be more around 75%

who should be making the standards here?

I would like to know more about them being shady… (honestly, I would like to know why you feel this way)

Microsofts browser market share is based mostly from the fact that is bundled (stuffed down peoples throats) with the Windows Operating Systems that come on EVERY new PC.

The fact that these other browsers have any market share is remarkable in itself. IE doesnt have market share because its the better product and doest deserve these props based on market share statistics.

Microsoft is more interested in dominating the market then providing quality products and supporting innovation. It shows in how they conduct business.

maps.live.com w/ the birdseye is > google earth IMO

route mapping on maps.google > maps.live.

Not everyone uses it for eye candy.

BIG TIME.

I just discovered that little fancy-ness the other day, so hot.

But I still <3 gmail and google search.

not that far away fyi

I don’t disagree at all with anything here. I guess it really lies with where you feel the standards should be set, and how you “make” companies comply

either way this competition is good for everyone since it forces serious product and service advances. Let em go at it.