Google Voice

Is fucking awesome…

And has a lot of potential, for those who want to give out numbers at a bar but dont want to give out your acctual phone number, want a number to give to customers for your buisness or the buisness you work with so you dont have fuckwads calling your personal phone

Also hasa lot of potential to cause problems :lol

After 6 months i finaly got my invite from google…

Acctualy 2 invited for both my e-mails

I now have 2 other phone numbers one with an Altamont and one with a schenectady based number.

Both these numbers ring directly to my phone, and when calling from my phone I can choose to use my google voice number so the other person doesnt see my cell phone number.

Same goes for texting.

You can also access all this from your web browser, listen toe-mail view call logs, send/recieve texts and view text transcripted voicemails…

You can also use google voice to manage your real cell phone number and have 1 voicemail for all.

The reason im excited about this is that ive been wanting to give out my number to customers for the guy I work for, but I really dont want people who cant figure out how to turn on their comuter calling me all the time, so now I can give them my google voice number and have it go right to my phone, when i dotn wnt to be bothered turn it off and it goes right to voicemail.

Yea just got my invite a few weeks ago, love it.

:excited How do you get invited? Is it like a secret society? haha

You have to be a member of THE SKULLS

http://www.obscurehorror.com/skulls.jpg

I have magicjack in addition to my cell. That is similar, as in, I hardly ever have it hooked up, but any calls I may get goto my email. But the Google one is free, I am assuming?

does it cost anything? how do i get an invite??

Abosouloutely love it myself, so far I have no use for the acctual google number, but i will soon, and mainly i want it for the voicemail as visual voicemail from vzw is flakey as fuck

GOtta request an invite from google.

TO make/recieve calls/texts its completely free, outside of teh US is the only thing that costs money, and its much cheaper than most cell provicders , you need to go to google voice web page and request an invitiation… honestly the chances of you getting it are pretty slim, well at least anytime soon… took me 6 months to get an invite, and the waiting list has since gotten much much longer.

If/when I get invited to invited people ill let you and your brother know.

A couple of the vmails I got that were speech to txted were kinda funny to read haha. Not perfect but helps you get an idea.

Yeah I just tested it out, unless the person is speaking very clearly, chances are its not going to translate it right… and well most people when they leave voicemails do not speak clearly, they talk as if your cell phone is an answering machine thats going to run out of tape any second

i’m 1/2 retarded can you tell me the point of this as i’m not following it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GOOGLE-VOICE-INVITATION-FREE-CALLING-Free-SMS-Text_W0QQitemZ300389697108QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f09f0654#ht_2887wt_1165

And so it begins…

Heres what it does Pete:
One number: a single phone number that rings all your phones
Free SMS: send, receive & store text messages online
Block calls: send unwanted callers straight to voicemail
Record calls: record phone calls and store them online
Conference calls: join several people into a single call
Screen callers: hear who is calling before you pick up
Google voicemail: voicemail like email
Voicemail transcription: read what your voicemail says
Custom greetings: vary voicemail greetings by caller
International calling: low cost calls to the world
Notifications: read voicemail messages via email or SMS
Share voicemails: forward, embed, or download voicemails

thanks man :thumbup

Hmm dident think they could sell invites yet… usualy when a service is realitivly new they dont offer users the option to invite friends for quite some time… I remember when g-mail came out… holy fuck the ammount of people selling invites… but if you got on gmail early wasnt to hard to grab an account anyways. I somewhat forgot about google voice till i got my invite… holy fuck I cant belive it took 6 months lol

But Pete, basicly it allows you to have a single phone number that can ring to multiple phones, allows you to make calls on your cell phone showing your google voice number instead of your acctual cell number

Basicaly you can call/text people from a number which isnt tied to your cell phone provider, so if you want to give someone your number or want to give out a number you dont care that people know you dont get bothered with bullshit as you can just send them straight to voicemail without ever being bothered

Okay…so this probably works the same on every platform.

Here’s my question(s):

I’ve had this app called gDial Pro installed for a while with my google voice number tied to it.

1. Do I need to have this app running in order for it to work? Otherwise I won’t get notified of texts/calls sent to that number?
  2. If I text from my regular messaging app or call from my regular phone app, does it show my Sprint number or my Google number?
  3. If I send a text from within gDial, and then continue the conversation in the regular messaging app, does it it keep going with the GV number?

I’m confused as hell when trying to figure which account my phone is actively using.

It really took you 6 months? Weird, I requested an invite in like oct and had one by Thanksgiving.

Well is gDial the official GV app for your platform or is it third party?

When using the GV app, you only need to run it from your phone once for the phone portion, after that any call to your GV number comes directly to your phone, theres an option in GV to make every outgoing call your GV number, ask everytime you dial or only for international calls, or never.

I have it setup so everytime i make it phone call it asks me what phone number I want to dial.

WHen sending texts as of right now I belive you have to use the GV app, when someone replies, Im not 100% sure if you reply usiong your messaging client weather or not it knows to use your GV number, although for me anyways using the GV app isnt much of an issue as its pretty fast almost like a native app. The only thing that annoys me is i get a GV notification and then a text notification that i got a SMS messaged and im not sure if you can turn that off as of right now

Only one issue I encounter with the phone is the ringer is through the speaker in the back, when you set the phone down on any soft surface, the volume is dramatically reduced.