Got my new toy: Asus EeePC 701

Heh, this is the best gadget I’ve ever bought. I was glued to it for the last 48 hours.

http://regmedia.co.uk/2007/06/06/asus_eeepc_2.jpg

The ASUS Eee PC (pronounced “E P C”) is an ultraportable notebook computer with prices under $399. It was developed jointly by Intel and ASUSTeK based on Intel’s Classmate PC project but with an aim for the consumer market. Unlike some broadly similar devices, notably Ultra-Mobile PCs and upcoming Mobile Internet Devices, the Eee features a traditional clamshell design, a touchpad pointing device, and a QWERTY laptop keyboard. Its appeal lies in its combination of portability, low cost, relatively high performance, and familiar ease of use. In this regard, it is sometimes compared to the OLPC XO-1, a low-cost educational laptop from the One Laptop Per Child project.

Originally dubbed the “Eee PC 701” to accommodate other models with different screen sizes, the name has since been shortened to simply “Eee PC”. Asus’s officially announced models are the Eee PC 8G, 4G, 4G Surf and 2G Surf, all of which feature the same 7” screen. There is speculation that future models with different sizes may one day be released.

<>Model Name___________Eee PC 4G
<>Availability (2007)______November
<>Price (in USD)_________$399
<>Available Colors________Pearl White, Galaxy Black
<>Included Accessories___Carrying case
<>Memory (RAM)_________512 MB (DDR2)
<>Solid-State Drive_______4 GB
<>Built-in webcam________VGA (640×480) @ 30 fps
<>Battery_______________4 Cells: 5200 mAh, 3.5hrs*
<>Display_______________7” w/ resolution of 800 by 640
<>CPU_________________900 MHz Intel Celeron M ULV 353
<>Operating System______Custom Linux OS; Windows XP (Support CD comes with XP drivers, Will come with XP reinstalled in 08)
<>Wired Networking_______10/100 Mbps Ethernet
<>Wireless Networking_____802.11b/g Wi-Fi
<>Audio_________________High Definition Audio with built-in stereo speakers and built-in microphone
<>Ports_________________3 USB/ 1 SD w/support SDHC/ VGA out
<>Weight_______________0.92 kg (2.0 lbs)

For more specs click HERE

So I ordered it last Saturday and it got to my house on Monday but there was nobody home so 1st attempt of delivery failed. This was the first on-line purchase that I actually called up UPS and asked if I can just come to their HUB and pick it up. I got there at about 8pm on Monday and waited 20min to get my package when it arrived I said “This isn’t mine, the box is too small” the lady behind the counter said if the name on the label was mine “it was me”. So I grabbed the box and opened right in front of her just to make sure that there is a Eee in it. I was surprised to find a tiny box inside tiny shipping box. I got home opened it up and went “Holy shit”. Yes the EeePC is this small. I’ve watched videos are read reviews about EeePC and every single one would say how small Eee Actually is, but you wont know until u see one right in front of you, I was amazed. It comes with Xandros preinstalled, its a nice and easy Linux but not what I am looking for in portable laptop. So I’ll either upgrade to Ubuntu (linux) or downgrade to Windows XP (yes, I said downgrade). You won’t know worry free computer til you either tried Linux or Mac OS. Well thats about it for now, I’ll take some pics when I get home and post em up, I’ll take em next to two of my old laptops for the reference.
PS: EeePC does not replace your DeskTop nor your laptop, its an addition to both, its very portable and weights 2 pounds which is easy to cary because you don’t need to get a laptop briefcase for it, has very good battery life.
YEY :slight_smile: ;D

HERE ARE SOME PICS:

Glad you like it, but it’s features, or lack thereof, are too limited for me. I can think of many many things that I’d rather spend $400 on.

Like I said, this is not a replacement for your desktop or notebook. Its just a nice little gadget to have :). And yes the price is kinda steep but I like gadgets and I think it was worth the money :slight_smile:

thats neat but i wouldnt pay 399+ fo it

that thing is pretty sweet…i may buy one of those to run my Hondata on inside my car

will that support hondata…cause if so im sold :banana

Just wait til Jan-March they will come out with the same version but already with Windows XP installed out it. Eee does’t have Serial port so u’ll either have to get a USB hondata or a USB-Serial adapter from radioshack for 34.99 (huh how weird I know the price!, working at radioshack screws with your brain). Oh BTW I can give u %30 discount on the USB-Serial adapter :), just make sure u are running Windows XP cuz it wont work with Vista :frowning: (no support drivers yet)…

it sounds very very inticing (sorry cant spell) :lol

enticing

adjective
highly attractive and able to arouse hope or desire; “an alluring prospect”; “her alluring smile”; “the voice was low and beguiling”; “difficult to say no to an enticing advertisement”; “a tempting invitation” [syn: alluring]

looks nice, but my dell xps 12.1 inch is just right for me, and the specs are 4 times that, although the price is also 4x lol

thanks smart a$$ j/k :lol

Well, I stopped by BestBuy yesterday and got myself a copy of Windows XP home (upgrade). And Installed it on my Eee. It works very good and starts up in less then 20 seconds which I think is very good for a extremely portable laptop that only seeps battery life. I found short comings of this laptop (lol, small screen and small keyboard) but thats ok because I’ll only use it to take little notes at lectures and browse web (IE, AIM) during free time at school and boring lectures :). Overall I think its well worth the money and its build very nicely. oh another bad thing about it, is that its impossible to just pull it out in cafeteria cuz everyone is coming up and asks me about it. :slight_smile:

Still find it useful?

Yea, I love it. Its so light and easy to carry around its just amazing.

BestBuy was out of them when i went :angry2 :sad

Did they ever have em? I though BestBuy only sells em online. Just go and order from Newegg.com, u’ll get it in 2 days and u dont have to pay taxes on $399 and put that money toward something else :slight_smile:

thought you’d like to know

Yep I found about it yesterday night from eeeuser.com and guess what, 2 sec later I was sitting with my screwdriver in my hand ripping off “Void Warranty if removed” sticker and pulling the plastic cover off :). I’ll stick with 512Mb or ram for now but will probably upgrade really soon :slight_smile: