Governor Paterson to address state tonight. Re: budget crisis

Pretty nice speach, like to see it actually happen.

Yep. Hopefully actions follow the words.

The sparks are going to start flying once the unions get involved.
Heard on the radio that one of the unions wants to hire like 1200 more people to break the 200,000 mark?!?
Hello?!?
We need fewer union people and this guy wants to add more just so they can say they have 200,000 members?!?
God have mercy on this state.

Heard on the radio that one of the unions wants to hire like 1200 more people to break the 200,000 mark?!?
Hello?!?
We need fewer union people and this guy wants to add more just so they can say they have 200,000 members?!?

Hello?!?

What the hell just happened?:rofl:

double post, then me being an ass :slight_smile:

Hello?!?

LOL

I hit the button and it locked up or something so I hit it again.
WTF?

Yes. That is a “double post” and is unacceptable as per the rules of the internet.

(I did it in the southern drawl thread, but deleted it before anyone noticed :snky:)

Great writeup over at wben.com.

http://www.wben.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=10483

This really isn’t that hard to fix.

Overall Spending
According to DOB’s updated first quarter forecast, 2008-09 State Operating Funds spending is expected to total $80.5 billion, an increase of 4.5 percent compared to the prior year. All Funds spending is expected to total $121.3 billion, an increase of 4.5 percent. General Fund spending is expected to total $56.2 billion, an increase of 5.2 percent.

At the time of budget enactment, State Operating Funds spending was expected to total $80.9 billion (5.0 percent increase), All Funds spending was expected to total $121.6 billion (4.8 percent increase), and General Fund spending was expected to total $56.4 billion (5.6 percent increase).

Ok, so we’re spending 4.8% more than last year. 4.8% of 121.6 billion is 5.83 billion dollars. There ya go, go back and yank out the extra funding and tell all these agencies you get the same amount you got last year. Boo fucking hoo, no raise for you during hard economic times. Welcome what most of the residents of the state are dealing with in the real world.

Then, if you really want to make some progress, you take back that 4.8% increase and make major cuts on top of that, since we all know damn well NY spent too much last year too.

Hello?!?

Nice speech for sure. Let’s see what happens though.

Silver was just on the news saying cuts to healthcare and education were off the table. Since that’s 2/3rds of the budget I’d say we are heading to higher taxes. Unreal that nothing gets done to remove some of his power. The state is being held hostage by one dowwnstate politician. Makes me long for 3rd world style government where they send a reform message by sticking his severed head on a pike outside the capital building.