goodbye STAR

damn it… I just filed for this last week…

Cuts in spending and new taxes make up a big part of the New York Governor David Paterson’s budget proposal. The dire warnings came true Tuesday morning, when New York Governor David Paterson delivered his budget address for the upcoming fiscal year.
The governor warned for weeks that tough choices will need to be made to close an almost $2 billion budget gap in this current budget.

The deficit for the 2009-2010 budget is almost $14 billion.
Here’s how the governor plans to eliminate the deficits:
State aid to schools will be cut by almost $700 million.
The governor also wants to raise SUNY tuition by $620 a year.
His budget also includes eliminating the STAR tax rebate program, to save $1.4 billion. “We have to recognize we’ve made too many promises, and unfortunately, have asked for too few sacrifices. We’re going to have to change our culture as we know it.”

Governor Paterson also wants to take action to limit Medicaid funding. He’s proposing a 1 percent increase, which equals about $432 million.

Other highlights of the governor’s budget:
An 18 percent sales tax on non-diet soft drinks. Eliminating the sales tax exemption on clothing and footwear under $110.
And, taxing personal services such as barbering, massages and hair salons.

http://www.rnews.com/TopStory_2004.cfm?cmd=top&rnews_story_type=18

WTF. So poor people buying shitty clothes will be taxed, but expensive items wont be?

yup

public college tuition is also up 17% I believe. From here on out, I’m doing everything in my power to purchase goods elsewhere in the US. I’m sick of supporting this state, only to have to come back and fuck you in the ass time and time again.

lol taxes are going up on “luxury” items aswell (don’t know what that classifies)

That rules!.. good thing all my shoes tend to be around 100 dollars… :frowning:

I think everyone should move out of New York state.

like, everyone.

UGH wtf… why do we have to pay for their mismanagment…

so many other states are without a deficeit and lower taxes… yet we get CREMED in everything…

:lol: that would send a message, wouldn’t it?

Any sales tax increase? Someone told me it might go up 2 percent, but they’re probably ill-informed…

Registering lotus at 8.75% is already going to cost me 5,075

at 10.75 it’s 6235!!! That’s probably more than most people spend on their cars!

There is no City sales tax imposed on the purchase of clothing and footwear regardless of the amount. The New York State tax rate of 4.375% (including the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District rate) was repealed effective April 1, 2006, and the New York City tax rate of 4% was eliminated effective September 1, 2005 for items under $110. For items over $110 the tax was eliminated effective September 1, 2007. More information on the clothing and footwear sales tax exemption is available from the State Web site.

This guy is a joke.

Ah well, so it goes. At least he’s actually trying to balance the budget.

LOL God bless NYS politics, where “sacrifice” means “we need more money so that we don’t have do without anything.” :wtf:

No tax on Items UNDER a $110.00 those above will be taxed. It looks like he is now going to do away with it even on items $110 and under now, so everyone will pay tax…

This state is so fooked up I want to move more and more every day.

Well IDK about that… it seems like he is going to get results… so … joke or not he might pull NYS out of a deficit.

Yes I don’t agree with his methods to do so…

normally, I would agree with you, but this is far beyond 'ol patterson. The whole system is royally fucked

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/12/15/alg_snl_paterson.jpg
the SNL skit was great… mostly because of how offensive it was.

noted. thanks for the info

no

I guess I’m wrong. I didn’t even know that clothing had become tax free. It’s nice not being poor I guess. :shrug:

I laughed my ass off at the SNL skit. Sarah got mad at me because she thought it was offensive. I informed her that was why i was laughing. I got punched :frowning:

His hands are tied. We’ve been fucked for awhile. The Senate wouldn’t approve his spending cuts. This is all he can do. Gay