Grassroots Motorsports

I don’t know if anyone on here reads GRM, but I’m going to look at the shell for my $2006 challenge car right now.

:smiley:

Best mag ever (if you dig that sorta thing lol). Scott Lear is their club editor he’s from Pittsburgh, use to hang out with him now and then. Funnier than hell when he was out racing locally. He still has his black ITR you’ll see it in the mag pages now and then.

Ninja edit: Shaler what are you thinking about for the challenge?

Scott is a great guy. He started autocrossing about about a year before myself, except he stuck with it. He would teach me during training days at the NHSCC in north park. Taught me a few good pointers that I still use today. Grassroots is a great mag. The budgie shootout is great also. Shaler are you really going to contend in that? What are you looking for?

Best rag ever. They’ve got a pretty good online forum too…

Yup, reader/member here. What are you going to build? I tossed around a few ideas myself. I’m not sure how “fair” it is to count some of my plans though. Between all the projects at our shop we can throw together a complete running LS1 from spare parts… how do I figure that cost in? It’s “value” is probably over the $2006 total… yet it “cost” nothing. On the same note I have a friend w/ a ton of Datsun 510 Shells laying around. I could get one of the banged up ones or one w/ a rusted floor free, or close to it, from him. Since it won’t be a show car we can do the paint and body work at our shop and the floor will be cut up for the swap stuff anyway. Again… fair!?!

So what are you building?

-TJ

Yo… I SAID:

-TJ

tj, do that 510 with LS1 anyways. great drift or autox

90 Civic.

no idea yet on what will be in it.

scott playing pool at jackies: “STEEEEEEEEEVE PEEEEEEEEERRY!!!” hahah great times i miss the bastard

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I won’t have a prayer in the 1/4-mile, no matter what I put in the Civic… I figure just put it together and try to place high in autocross and the show.

Dude, tell me its at least a Si and your set. With nitrous you can make the A6 at least hold together for at least 14 second pass before all hell breaks loose lol. Also on the suspension side I have something of intrest, it would make the car PLENTLY capable in the autox at least.

http://www.racepa.com/index.php?showtopic=2806

hehe dsmotorsports 1g was in the 11’s last year

Don’t sweat the small stuff;-), fair has nothing to do with it. I mean, c’mon…a supercharged BWM 2002…a Monster Miata…and a ton of others…there is NO WAY those cars cost $2000 to build, but they make it look good on paper and have at it. You just need to be able to back it up, not make it real.

I’ve been following that competition for a number of years. Incredible stuff. The stories of guys that break, or crash getting there, or rebuild there engines while laying along the highway or a truck stop in Virginia are always pretty hilarious…

There were 5 Hondas ahead of it at the autox, all of them older than the DSM lol. But yea you basicly have to try to do one thing incredibly well if your not building something like LigonierA1 mentioned (aka old RWD import with a V8 shoved in it). Still entering in the competion alone is considered a pretty big feat for most. For those wondering wtf we are talking about.

Last years results.
http://grmotorsports.com/news/042005/another-challenge-in-the-books.php

Rules for 06’
http://grmotorsports.com/news/082005/2006-challenge-rules-posted.php

Pittspeed could pull off a righteously competitive entry with the skills and resources available through this site. :stick:

yes but he came in 5th overall…ahead of all the hondas

Uh huh, considering thats why I stated “But yea you basicly have to try to do one thing incredibly well if your not building something like LigonierA1 mentioned” refering to Blayner’s project. Not “You need to build something all around like that 1g DSM that ran 11’s”. The fastest i’ve ever seen a Honda run in that challenge I think is like a 13 something. Might as well build it for autox/concours so I was giving the realistic advice to get the best placement. Using the hondas as a example to the DSM since you know…thats kinda what we are working with here.

he should just put a smallblock in the honda they are cheap and he’d have 1980 dollars left

You know whats sad? Your short by about 1 year on that idea lol.

http://www.dilysimotorsports.com/V8CRX.htm