Growth down to 1.6%, economy chat ITT.

Just wanted to post this, as it should blow your mind.

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/hewitt_31_5_07a.jpg

A dollar today is worth less than a nickle was in 1913.

US’s economy is so fucked. The only way out of this is to turn us back into a manufacturing industry, and to stop outsourcing. If big business wants to outsource, fine but tax the living shit out of them.

We export nothing, except bullshit reality T.V.

When will this end? I don’t think anyone realizes the severity of this because people are too busy worrying about what Justin Bieber is going to do next.

Oh, and don’t bring stupid talk into this thread about how it’s all Obama’s fault, I didn’t vote for him, but you need to see both sides of the fence or stick your damn head in the sand. Obama is indeed fucking things up worrying about who is going to offend by actually doing anything. Not to mention the national healthcare plan is going to put us into the red even more.

so then u owe me a lot of money

Im getting my MD and moving to monaco. Problem solved.

The problem is wages have been blown out of proportion which leads to a general increase in costs for everything. New teachers in 1965 made ~$5,000 per year, but gas was also $0.17/gallon, rents were around $65/month, a movie cost $0.25, etc. Now you have the guy at Arby’s making at least $7.25/hour, or ~$15,000/year, which disproportionately inflates the price of the product he’s producing which isn’t worth what you end up paying for it, which means everyone else has to get paid more as well.

The worst thing that ever happened to the business climate in America was the minimum wage. It drove the cost of everything up which drove the value of your dollar down.

I want arby’s now.

Well, it doesn’t help that we continue to increase minimum wage with inflation. So eventually we will be at $15.00/hr and people will still be salaried at the same wage? Something isn’t adding up. Our dollar isn’t worth shit. China is running to the races, and we will never catch up.

arm yourselves. that’s all i really have to say about this.

The biggest thing I think they need to do is come up with a salary cap. There are way to many people out there getting paid double even triple what they should actually be paid. I also think that jobs making over $100,000 a year should have some sort of checks and balances put into place to make sure the people with jobs out there that basically don’t need to exist get what they deserve.

I read somewhere that one of the executives for AIG to this day has a secretary who has an assistant. Yes an assistant to an assistant who makes $119,000 a year. and baiscally this secrataries assistant does nothing but order lunches, pick them up, pick up laundry, make copies of things and keep the office clean. Really?

People with million dollar salaries a year to sit in an office and buy sell and ride in limos is the reason why this country is where it is. That shit has killed the value of the dollar, same with athletes signing multi million dollar contracts.

This country will never be fixed its only going to get worse, this is one of the reasons I don’t want kids

Precisely.

I know someone (99FRC?) is going to reply with a tirade of: “VOTE! And you too can make a difference!” but seriously…it’s BS. Americans should have been complaining/getting up in arms about this shit 30 years ago, not now.

Too little, too late. IMO anyway. While I agree that we should tax huge companies that outsource, etc. and that it MAY help in the end, regardless, this country will never enjoy anything close to what it enjoyed when the Internet explosion happened in the 90’s (most of the reason why America was WAY in green during Clinton’s presidency).

Well, that could all be hearsay regarding assistants but it’s probably true.

In economic downturn like now, the gap between the lower class and the middle class will continue to grow. If you’re in the middle class you either don’t make it, or you get lucky and bump into the higher class scale.

Outsourcing, ARM mortgages, and the private banking industry have killed the dollar IMO.

Thomas Jefferson was a smart dude:

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

that’s up to the companies to regulate and deal with. a government law here isn’t going to fix anything. most laws dont, there is always a loophole for those willing to find / chance it. All these fucking laws end up doing is butt-fucking the people who go out and put in work every day. Next person that says make a law on here is getting there face punchasized.

Wow, just wow.

I like the idea of taxing the shit out of companies that outsource, especially if its to China or India. NYS is so hard on small businesses too, its ridiculous. Its like this state doesnt want people to startup companies.

If people don’t mind paying triple on everything they own that is not made in America, so they can be made in America; I am sure the job market and economy will imporve. :lol

For the record the last three cars I owned which I bought new are all American.

Are you fucking kidding me right now? Salary Caps?

How about instead of punishing the people who work for a living, we punish those who don’t instead of fucking PAYING and rewarding them for doing nothing?

SRS, you sell appliances no? Ok well lets say they put a “cap” on your commission pay of $20,000/year and tax you 100% on anything you make over that. Would you still be pushing to sell those appliances? I wouldn’t.

Hell, if the government told me that as a small business owner my max income could never exceed $100K/year, I would quit right now and go on welfare because I would be better off doing that than working.

salary caps wouldnt be punishing the people who work for a living.

Im titred of paying the government to bail out fucking companies because the over pay and over bonus their fat cats and paying ridiculous taxes to the state so it can pay its political fat cats to sit around and literally do nothing. Cut back on their fucking wages and put the money back into the pockets of the people who really work.

I do sell appliances, I sell them 6 days a week and I am here in my office 6 days a week learning about appliances and serving the customers who come in and call. i dont take company money and time to go on golf trips. i dont sacrifice customer money and appliances and cut back on service or make fraudlent claims so I can have a bigger bonus at the end of the year.

I’m not talking about small business, Im talking about all the places that recieved bailouts and bull shit like that. How amny of those places still have huge over salaried employess sitting at desks jerking themselves off all day and then taking end of the year bonus’ that are more than I make in a 5 years. So now they are not just burying themsleves they are burying me. The banks jack their rates take the aid and jakc the taxes so now I am paying double the penalty to pay some lazy faggots over inflated salary. yeah that right im completely out of my mind

don’t be DUMB. The simple fix for this is not to have bailed anyone out. This never should have happened. The companies that made those mistakes would not be around any longer and thus the problem wouldn’t exist. If you make rules to cater to douchebags, you’re only going to get more douchebags.

I 100% agree with you that we should have bailed them out.

I feel that we bailed them out and are no better for it. Its like there are now 500,000 jobless people instead of 700,000 jobless people and pretty soon there will need to be another bail out or the same shits going to happen

Precisely, bailouts should not have happened at all. And other than what you see on MSNBC, who here actually knows a Fortune 500 CEO personally? Because I promise you they work their asses off but they are human. The media will focus on the one vacation they take a year instead of the 80+ hours a week that they work.

Let the companies decide what to pay its employees and keep the government out.

Capping salaries does nothing but discourage growth. If the company you work for wants to pay you six-figures and they can afford to, why shouldn’t they? If to do so they jack the prices on their products and/or services and the public decides they aren’t going to pay those prices, well then you’re S.O.L. I go back to the concept of having a “minimum wage” here. This is what drives every other salary up and what drives the cost of goods up. If the 16 year old drive through worker is making $15K a year, the manager is going to have to make $30K. If the manager is making $30K, the division manager is going to want $65K. If the division manager is making $65K, the low-end guys at corporate are going to want $110K. And it goes on.

I agree, bailouts are a bad precedent. especially when you begin selectively choosing who you save (AIG) and who you don’t (Bear Sterns).