GTP setting SES P1810

My car started shifting very hard the other day and then it threw an SES light. I got the car scanned and it shows P1810 which is a faulty TFP (tranny fluid pressure) valve. Ive read up that the valves open and close by getting a signal from the PCM and if the signals are not right it will throw the light and cause harder shifting. Im guessing that it has something to do with a throttle position sensor, but i dont even know where it is or if my car even has one. Becuase i disconected my battery for almost 2 days and when i reconnected it and started it back up the light was out but as soon as i touched the gas to rev it up the light kicked on. If anyone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it. The car isnt getting driven anymore, so theres no rush. Im actually thinking about possibly selling it but we’ll see. Thanks for any help!

The Throttle Posistion Sensor is on the throttle body right below the big vac line that comes out of it. It’s possible that it got moved out of place and that might cause your problems.

I’m really not much on the electrical side of our cars and that’s about all I can tell you. Try searching the forums on CGP.

Ive searched on there forums and others and cant really find anything to point me in the right direction, not to many have even had this problem.

well that hard pressure shift will burn the clutches out quickly.
(mine did, got one from pewterss which performed flawlessly and the new owner hammers it alot more then i ever did with no issues)

talk to jjs automotive if/ when your tranny goes , they may have a good used one for not a lot of ching.

Well i guess from what im hearing it could be a sticking Pressure control selenoid, which doesnt make sense to me but i dont know what else it could be. The tranny fluid was flushed 2,000 miles ago and the tranny doenst even have 60,000 miles on it. I guess if i cant find any electrical problems, like loose connections or something ill try to add some sea foam, or any other ATF additive.

BTW whenever i rev up my car, the speedometer climbs, and i also have NO rev limiter(should be at 4k RPM in Park w/ stock PCM), anybody know why this could be? May it even be somehow related to my problem?

year? Ill run it through the computer at school tomorrow. I try to print/scan a flow chart and diagnosis check chart for you

I have heard bad things about trannys going after geting flushed. Did you get the filter replaced and flushed, or just a flush. I hear its better to get the filter replaced and a full flush. Otherwise you might just pump out all the old shit trapped in the filter.

both of mine went after a routine change with filter and one without.
im under the influence that on that car you use only gm fluid and you dont flush or change

The motor and transmission are both out of a 1999 GTP.

It wasnt actually power flushed, it was just hooked up to a machine and the tranny itself pumped out the old fluid and sucked in the new. Ive never had a problem with this type of flush on these trannies. I knew that flushing them is a very bad idea, but only if there are high miles on the fluid. Like i said ive put over 2,000 miles on since then and havent had any problems. If it is going to have fluid shock youll normally have that within the next day or 2. From my expierence with trannys.

You find the problem yet?

The automatic transmission fluid pressure (TFP) manual valve position switch consists of six pressure switches (three normally-closed and three normally-open). Ignition voltage is applied to each of the switches. By grounding or opening one or more of these switches with fluid pressure from the manual valve, the PCM can detect which gear range is selected. Refer to Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Manual Valve Position Switch Logic .

If the PCM detects an invalid combination of inputs (LOW/HI/LOW or LOW/LOW/LOW), then DTC P1810 sets. If the PCM detects a gear range other than the one indicated, then DTC P1810 sets. DTC P1810 is a type B DTC.

Conditions for Running the DTC
• The engine speed is greater than 500 RPM for 5 seconds and not in fuel shut off.

• The system voltage is 9-18 volts.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
DTC P1810 sets when at least one of the following conditions occurs:

Condition 1
The TFP manual valve position switch indicates an invalid switch combination for 60 seconds.

Condition 2

• No VSS DTC P0502 or P0503.

• The vehicle speed is less than 5 km/h (3 mph).

• TFP manual valve position switch indicates REVERSE, D2 or D4 for 7 seconds at engine start up without indicating PARK or NEUTRAL.

• The engine speed transitions from less than 50 RPM to greater than 700 RPM indicating start up.

Condition 3

• No TP sensor DTC P0121, P0122 or P0123.

• No VSS DTC P0502 or P0503.

• No AT ISS sensor DTC P0716 or P0717.

• No 1-2, 3-4 SS valve DTC P0751, P0752 or P0753.

• No 2-3 SS valve DTC P0756, P0757 or P0758.

• The TP angle is greater than 9%.

• The vehicle speed is more than 8 km/h (5 mph).

• The engine torque is greater than 70 N·m (50 lb ft) and one of the following conditions occurs:

-  The gear ratio indicates REVERSE, D4, D3, D2 or D1 and the TFP manual valve position switch indicates PARK or NEUTRAL for 5 seconds.  

-  The gear ratio indicates D4, D3, D2 or D1 and the TFP manual valve position switch indicates REVERSE for 5 seconds.  

-  The gear ratio indicates REVERSE and the TFP manual valve position switch indicates D4, D3, D2 or D1 for 5 seconds.  

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.

• The PCM commands maximum line pressure.

• The PCM freezes shift adapts.

• The PCM assumes D4 for shifting.

• The PCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The PCM stores this information as Freeze Frame and Failure Records.

• The PCM stores DTC P1810 in PCM history during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
The PCM turns OFF the MIL during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test runs and passes.
A scan tool can clear the MIL/DTC.
The PCM clears the DTC from PCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without an emission-related diagnostic fault occurring.
The PCM cancels the DTC default actions when the ignition switch is OFF long enough in order to power down the PCM.
Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This step tests the indicated range signal to the manual valve range actually selected.

This step tests for correct voltage from the PCM to the transmission 20-way connector.

This step tests for a short together between signal circuit A and signal circuits B or C.

DTC P1810 TFP Manual Valve Position Switch Circuit Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Did you perform the Powertrain Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls (3.1 L) or Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls (3.8 L) in Engine Controls

Inspect for proper transmission fluid level.

Refer to the Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure .

Did you perform the transmission fluid checking procedure?

Go to Step 3

Install a Scan Tool .
Turn On the ignition with the engine OFF.
Important: Before clearing the DTCs, use the Scan Tool in order to record the Freeze Frame and Failure Records for reference. Using the Clear Info function will erase the stored Freeze Frame and Failure Records from the PCM.

Record the Freeze Frame and Failure Records.
Clear the DTC.
Start the engine and idle at normal operating temperature.
With a Scan Tool , observe the TFP Sw. parameter.
Apply the brakes.
Select each transmission range: P, R, N, D4, D3, D2 and D1.
Does each selected transmission range match the transmission range displayed on the Scan Tool ?

Go to Intermittent Conditions (3.1 L) or Intermittent Conditions (3.8 L) in Engine Controls
Go to Step 4

Inspect the transmission linkage from the range selector to the manual shift shaft for proper adjustment.
Adjust the linkage as necessary. Refer to Automatic Transmission Range Selector Cable Adjustment .
Did the linkage require adjustment?

Go to Step 16
Go to Step 5

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the AT inline 20-way connector (additional DTCs may set).
Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
With a Scan Tool , observe the TFP Sw. A/B/C parameter.
Does the Scan Tool TFP Sw. A/B/C parameter indicate HI for all range signals A, B and C?

Go to Step 6
Go to Step 9

Turn OFF the ignition.
Install the J 44152 jumper harness on the engine side of the AT inline 20-way connector.
Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
Using a J 39200 digital multimeter (DMM) and a J 35616 connector test adapter kit, measure the voltage from terminal N of the J 44152 jumper harness to ground. Refer to Automatic Transmission Inline Harness Connector End View .
Measure the voltage from terminal R of the J 44152 jumper harness to ground.
Measure the voltage from terminal P of the J 44152 jumper harness to ground.
Does the voltage measure greater than the specified value at all three terminals?
10 V
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 10

Connect a fused jumper wire from terminal N of the J 44152 jumper harness (signal circuit A) to ground while monitoring the Scan Tool TFP Sw. A/B/C parameter.

When signal circuit A (CKT 1224) is grounded, do any other signal circuits indicate Low?

Go to Step 11
Go to Step 8

Connect a fused jumper wire from terminal R of the J 44152 jumper harness (signal circuit B) to ground while monitoring the Scan Tool TFP Sw. A/B/C parameter.

When signal circuit B (CKT 1225) is grounded, do any other signal circuits indicate Low?

Go to Step 11
Go to Step 12

Test the signal circuits (CKTs 1224, 1225 and 1226) of the TFP manual valve position switch, that did not indicate HI, for a short to ground between the PCM connector and the AT inline 20-way connector.

Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 16
Go to Step 15

Test the signal circuits (CKTs 1224, 1225 and 1226) of the TFP manual valve position switch, that did not indicate proper voltage, for an open between the PCM connector and the AT inline 20-way connector.

Go to Step 16
Go to Step 15

Test the affected signal circuits of the TFP manual valve position switch for a shorted together condition between the PCM connector C1 or C2 and the AT inline 20-way connector.

Go to Step 16
Go to Step 15

Test the signal circuit A (CKT 1224) of the TFP manual valve position switch for an open, short to ground or short to other signal circuits B or C, between the AT inline 20-way connector and the TFP manual valve position switch.
Test the signal circuit B (CKT 1225) of the TFP manual valve position switch for an open, short to ground or short to other signal circuits A or C, between the AT inline 20-way connector and the TFP manual valve position switch.
Test the signal circuit C (CKT 1226) of the TFP manual valve position switch for an open, short to ground or short to other signal circuits A or B, between the AT inline 20-way connector and the TFP manual valve position switch.
Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.

Did you find a condition?

Go to Step 13
Go to Step 14

Replace the AT wiring harness assembly.

Refer to Wiring Harness Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 16

Replace the TFP manual valve position switch.

Refer to Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Manual Valve Position Switch Replacement .

Go to Step 16

Replace the PCM.

Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement (3.1 L) or Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement (3.8 L) in Engine Controls.

Go to Step 16

Perform the following procedure in order to verify the repair:

Select DTC.
Select Clear Info.
Operate the vehicle under the following conditions:
Start the engine and idle in PARK for at least 60 seconds.
Drive the vehicle in D4 at greater than 7 km/h (5 mph) for at least 1 second.
The TP angle must be greater than 9%.
Select Specific DTC.
Enter DTC P1810.
Has the test run and passed?

System OK
Go to Step 1

OK i have no idea what any of that really ment in the above post. And plus i do not have a scanner to even start trying any of that stuff. But I have figured out a couple of things. First off my transmission shifts perfect until the car gets itself out of the “warm up mode” or whatever youd like to call it. I tried transmission additive and it had no affect what so ever. I tried disconectting my performance shift mode that i have hot wired to be on constantly and that made no difference. I also chekced out the VSS wires that go to the diff cover and they looked fine. Also i cleaned all my gorunds and checked them at the PCM and they were also fine. Tonite when i took it out to check some other things i found out if i manually pull it down to 3rd it thumps like and shifts hard like the problem im having and same for when i bump it manually back into D. Also, i cam to a stop and put the car manually all the way down into 1, then i accleorated, didnt floor it, but accelorated and the car shifted all the way up into OD. with the gear selector in 1. Which defiitly is worng. Becuase it didnt redline every gear or anything, it shifted like i was in D. Something is seriosuly messed up. I should just take it to the dealer and be ready to pay out the ass. :down:

Could Brian scan this and fix this for this guy?

yup

there is a bulletin on wiring connections at the trans, not %100 sure on what all cars its on… if pewter fixes this keep that in mind