gutted interior?

so on my new snky project im gutting the interior and ive removed EVERYTHING from the trunk and the rear of the car, my question is to you gutted interior people; do you remove the carpeting in your car when you do so? if so what do you put in place of the carpet if anything? i was thinking some form of spray on rubber adhesive so that the floor doesnt get rusty from any water that might get dragged into it?

what are your thoughts on it?

and for the project its basically going to be a big power street car.

cheap = rustoleum primer and paint
better = POR15 and paint

different = truck bed liners, rhino liner or line-x

if you make enough power you dont have to worry about it.
/end.

[quote=“Anonymity,post:3,topic:34053"”]

if you make enough power you dont have to worry about it.
/end.

[/quote]

true dat

i was thinking por15,

and anonymity- i just prefer the rug carpet out. its beat. and i dont really wanna get a custom carpet.

[quote=“fairgentleman Z,post:2,topic:34053"”]

cheap = rustoleum primer and paint
better = POR15 and paint

different = truck bed liners, rhino liner or line-x

[/quote]

i wonder what rhino liner would run…thats a good idea

i tried the no carpet route for a few months, it suuuuuucks driving because the cabin get really really loud. you can barely hear your radio, let alone a passenger. so if you plan on driving this at all on the street, i wouldn’t take the carpet out. just turn the boost up another pound to compensate.

[quote=“ieatpaint315,post:7,topic:34053"”]

i tried the no carpet route for a few months, it suuuuuucks driving because the cabin get really really loud. you can barely hear your radio, let alone a passenger. so if you plan on driving this at all on the street, i wouldn’t take the carpet out. just turn the boost up another pound to compensate.

[/quote]

:word: i did not like it at all when i pulled all that out… its only like 15 lbs not that much leave it in there

the noise thing is a good point. for some reason the foam backing on the bottom of the carpet is SOAKED. which is ultimately brought me to make this thread. the floor underneath is flawless. not a spot of rust so i just dont want it to start from the moisture in the carpet.

thanks everyone.

ive seen quite a few gutted vehicles. my favorites are the ones where they totally gut the rear of the car from the front seats back, leaving the driver and front passenger area really nice and stock and the rear gets axed… door panels, inner door sheet metal, rear side windows replaced with tinted lexan riveted in place inside the door so it looks stock etc.

a thick coat or two of bedliner on the floor will help with noise. my buddies jeep has this and it kept the noise down over no carpet. fog the back area with flat black too so it doesnt draw attention.

oh yeah, if you do leave the carpet out, rivet a piece of carpet for the drivers and passengers feet partway up the firewall to the seat. makes it decent if you want to take your shoes off and relax and keeps your feet from slipping on the floor.

Brian

its only a 2 door so none of the rear door panels ect. apply. with how much shit we too out of the rear of the car, the suspension lifted the car almost 3 inches! it includes rear seats, rear carpet. trunk carpet, full spare tire, inch thick tar that covered the whole trunk floor and under the rear seats that weighed like 60lbs. needless to say weight reduction worked well.

the flat black in the back would actually look pretty badass. i just need to get the remains of the interior black as well. the dirty tan is bugging the shit out of me and the front seats are beat to boot. i need some kind of racing seats for it bad.

if anyone knows of any racing seats please let me know :slight_smile:
i dont wanna spend a fortune though since it is a budget build.

I used lightweight insulation and carpeting for sound control and asthetics.

begining

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Jskrapper/carmail06.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Jskrapper/PB250301.jpg

Just a few bucks in supplies…3m Herculiner truck bed coating and flat black to top it off.

WOW. that looks MUCH better. i think i may do that in the back to clean up the look some! :tup:

that looks real good. :slight_smile:

Brian

[quote=“ieatpaint315,post:7,topic:34053"”]

[/quote]

What the hell were you doing with your carpet out but radio still in? Radio weighs so much more than carpet when you add up the head unit, wire, and components.

Thankfully those heavy metal doors and power windows and mirrors will be gone soon enough.

i wasn’t doing it for weight savings, it got rained on a wreeeeeeaked. i run 18’s, i’m not bothering with saving weight, lol

MPD: holy fuck. that interior, or lack of is so good looking. i want your seats!!!

I removed all my interior around May or June…everything is back in except the center console, and the rear panels. It got annoying and I dont think it made too much difference. Maybe I’ll take it all back out if I need a few .01 of a sec or so.

i have had the carpet out on a couple of cars…let me tell you if you shoes are wet it the shittiest feeling when it slips all over the place lol. anyways. i say keep the front half stock and the back gutted. the carpet weighs less then 10lbs from what i remember. so its pointless.

QUESTION:

if i cut the carpet out from the back should i do it right before the driver seat, half way under it or at the back?

my thought would be right in front of the seat where the seat bolts to the floor.

my reasoning is not weight savings, i want a clean look in the car so im spraying the entire back flat black, and im dying the rest of the carpet black and id like to dye as little as possible.

anyone think this is a good idea?