Guy in the NEW R32 VW on Rt 7

Ugh. Sounds familiar.

Not to be a stickler, but the Volkswagen R32 weighs more than an R32 Skyline GT-R.

There’s almost 200 lbs difference between the two, the VW being heavier- you can look it up.

The 8th generation (R32) GT-R isn’t that heavy (relatively speaking) considering all the hardware.

Not to mention, in Japan they don’t have the side impact beams, front bumper reinforcements, etc, those things are probably worth 100 lbs in weight savings right there.

i was at the wolf rd diner yesterday and saw a gray R32 with blue brake calipers. i like the new ones. the exhausts look awesome. id love to play around in that car for a few days

i saw gonna say the same thing, i think they are both in the same ballpark as far as weight is concerned ~3500 lbs.

is the 08 a new model year? i love the sound of the r32’s but they are very expensive for the performance you get.

To answer your question, yes it is and I agree, they are very expensive for what you get if you ask me.

^ If you’re cross shopping the R32 vs the Evo and STI you pay more for less performance. But in the R32 you get a sunroof, leather recaro seats (which are heated), automatic climate control, self dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers, DSG transmission, and much much more. Even though you often see it compared to the STI and Evo, the car is quite a bit different and geared to a bit older, more mature audience.

Don’t get me wrong because i’m definitely a huge VW fan, but I don’t see all those features you touched on about the R32 really to be “performance” features. Their more of a luxury option if you ask me. So anyone that is in the market for a performance car and isn’t so much a VW fan I think is going to go with either the EVO or the STI.

For the money you spend on the R32, i’d rather spend the extra few thousand and get an Infiniti. I personally think the past few years Volkswagen’s quality isn’t the best, it may have improved but i’m still not 100% convinced. I won’t ever buy a MK 4 Volkswagen again and that completely lead me away from even looking at buying a brand new Volkswagen and instead going ahead with my Honda.

Don’t care about Japan as I live in USA nor did I compare R32 with anything (intentionally). I was speaking of the GT-R but per specifications:

R32 -> 3,547 http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/volkswagen/r32/specifications/
GT-R -> 3,836 Nissan GT-R - Wikipedia

Maybe I worded it wrong. I thought I stated you’re paying MORE for LESS performance in the R32. The R32 is geared more for a mature audience with a lot more refinement and much better overall build qulity. Anyway…carry on.

I see. If you want to compare those two cars, yes definitely the new GT-R is heavier. Because of the title in the thread the whole time I thought that the car you had in mind was the R32 Skyline, not the new car. So that was my mistake.

It’s my fault. I confused the title with the GT-R (the new US version) thinking it was over 3,800LBS car and is bulky like my car. :slight_smile:

Yeah- the new GT-R is bulky like your car. But makes less power hehe ;D

Not ‘mine’. :slight_smile:

Saw him get off rt.9 and onto 87 cornering insanely hard lol

i just edited the thread title to clear up any confusion

ive seen that car a bunch of times in guilderland…i think he either lives or works out here

What??? Now thats just wrong, we have never had any problems with ecm’s let alone on the 3.2. There is a reflash for the 2.8’s Where do you guys get some of this stuff from?

i was wondering that myself. i can think of a handful of cars that had issues but never heard of anything w/ the r32. :confused

Please read the entire thread.

Newb! Read above. :slight_smile:

Id take an R32 over an STi/Evo anyday. Yah they are turbo and 100x easier to “mod” due to that but you will never get the sound of a R32, plus not to mention a S/C or Turbo R32 would be insane :slight_smile: Sure its more money in the end, but its a VW whatd you expect? I dont count cause im a vw guy, but ive driven an EVO and R32 (never a sti) and id take the r32 anyday.