Guys with fuel cells:

My summit fuel cell has a vent in the cap:

Our Drag Race cells have features like seamless polyethylene construction for outstanding impact resistance, aviation foam filling to prevent fuel slosh and aeration, and a one-way flapper valve vent in the cap, to allow air to displace fuel as it’s being used. Ideal for drag racing, they include a 2 in. deep sump in the rear for better fuel pickup during launches, two -8 AN outlets, a -6 AN vent fitting, a flush mount aircraft-type cap, and 360 degree mounting strap recesses. And best of all, you get all of this for a very affordable price.

It also has a -6 vent fitting…

My question is, do I need to use the -6 vent fitting for a vent since the cap has provisions for that? Or can I use it for the return?

I have a -6an fuel cell bulkhead fitting I can use for the return if the supplied vent fitting does need to be used for a vent, but if i can NOT use it, that’d be better.

Doesnt the cell have 2 fitting on the top of it one for vent and one for return ? Post a pic of it. Mine has 2 ports on the bottom and 2 ports on the top.

Like so
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/general-turbo-buick-tech/44534d1205464306-proper-way-mount-fuel-cell-fuel-cell-1.jpg

No, only one on top:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-290103.jpg

Like i said, though, i do have a fuel cell bulkhead I can add on. I have to pull the foam out anyway because i have to open up my -8 outlet to a -10.

You need to use at least a -6 for a vent. iirc the cap will let air in, but not out. You should use the -6 that’s already there as your return, and get a -6 or -8 roll over valve for your vent, that way if you ever roll the car, fuel won’t be pouring all over the car. This is how I have mine set up. -12 at the bottom for the fuel pump, -8 tip over with a line outside the car and -8 return.

Well, I don’t think I need a -8 return, because my feed is only -8, but maybe I will get the tip over valve. For now I will use the -6 as a vent. I have some extra fittings and line. Thanks for the info!

You will be fine with a -6 return.

My fuel line setup : (8an Feed)(10an Return)(8an Vent)

How much HP are you planning on making ? Pump? Reg?

Is that some carburetor style setup with a larger return than feed?

If the return is too small you will have a hard time controling the pressure.

if the cap has a vent then you don’t have to worry about it. But generally, with fuel cells you’ll be putting them in your trunk and you don’t want to build the fumes up in your trunk…so the hose fitting is for external venting.

What kind of pump are you running?

i have a Summit Plastic 16gal fuel cell, with foam and return line if you want to buy it from me. It’s never had fuel in it. i think its -10 and -10

Josh,
I have the fuel cell.

Marc,
I also see you are running an A1000.

Nice pump.

A1000

You maybe right about the bigger return for a carb setup… I dont want to point you in the wrong direction.

noted…but i don’t think the one i have would need altering. Granted…the altering is minimal. just saying.

No way a 16 gallon would fit in my car, though… At least not where it is now:

God this is an old pic…

http://onyxsyndicate.com/newman/e30gtr/img/DSC01456.jpg

Can’t you cut the bottom piece out and weld metal in where the spare tire would be and recut hole for cell?

yeah, or he could just save himself the hassle of doing that, and use his current setup…

Yeah, I could, but why bother?

The cell I have fits perfectly there.

8Gallons should be enough for a 2.6L turbo car.

I just need to add a return line. Which I have the fitting for.

dispite your fisher-price paint scheme…are you trying to keep this a sleeper? you should totally show the entire fuel cell…and give yourself some driving range as well. braided lines and fuel pump hanging below a bumper always looks badass.