anybody run a fuel cell and a fuel tank

has anybody ever seen somebody mount a small 5 or 8 gallon fuel cell in their tank for race fuel, and leave the stock one for 93 or whatever…

i was thinking u chould just wire the pumps on a toggle switch so both are never on at the same time… than just hook the two cells up to the lines using a y connector with a check valve so the fuel doesnt flow backwards…

and when u want to switch just turn the car off… restart with the other pump on and voila race fuel… than switch back for the ride home…

only thing i havnt figured out is how to run the return line so it goes to the right tank… hrm
so anybody ever done this or heard of it being done?

You know what… that’s actually a GREAT idea IMO.

I’ll wait to see what others say about it.

But IMO (which is worthless) it’s 100% possible.

found this

http://www.shop.com/op/~MOTOR_DRIVEN_FUEL_TANK_SELECTOR_VALVE-prod-17123976-24060192

lol

ive been devising this for a while now…

Possibly your best be would be the older dual tank systems of off 80s-90s ford trucks with the dual 15 gallon tanks. Provides instant switching of the tanks from the cab, and it worked very nicely. Not sure how it would work with race gas, but if it could be used it gives you a cheap supply of parts for it. And I believe the later ones in the early 90s used just a single high-pressure fuel pump seeing as they could flow good enough for a 351 I don’t see any problems for this application assides making the lines compatable.

So it’s been done, just not with race fuel. Might be worth looking into. Just keep in mind you would need to wait a bit after switching before upping boost.

people have been doing this since the 70’s, but which ethanol. under tech there was a thread about ethanol, one of the links in there shows how to run 2 takes with different fuels.

just return them both to the larger tank… upping the 93 won’t hurt your street tune one bit… it will actually help ya out a little bit.

and why have a huge tank? Get a small one and use it to offset some weight up front…

http://thedodgegarage.com/reliant/reliant_27.jpg

Just need a relay, two pumps, two tanks / cells, a few feet of wire & fuel line, and then run the return to the lower oct. tank.

-Nick

ECHO!!!

I know there are a couple people on here running that setup… just waiting for them to chime in :snky:

the kid that rides for yamaha…with the WRX doesnt he have somethiing of the sort in his trunk? or is that compressed? or i dont know, but i saw some tank in his trunk

he has a lot of sweet shit in his trunk. :mamoru:

His pump, filter, and some other stuff is all in there, not sure if the cell is for race gas or not though.

I did take him to 70 though… AWDRED>AWDBLUE :wink:

Pretty sure that tank in the wrx was for surge.

only worries youmight have is for taking it to the track with saftey regulations if your running quick times. that is all i’d be worried about … when you actually read the rules for a fuel cell setup there’s extra BS tow orry about…

yea jason has a surge tank in his trunk