Half-Mile: Me vs. Ninja

So after a heated discussion between me and a friend the other night, I’ll see what you guys think.

My friend has a 2000 Ninja ZX-6R, which should be good for a quarter-mile time in the tens, from what I understand and he says. However, he switched sprockets on it, and the top speed is around 126 MPH with it.

My GTO ran a 13.1 on a 95 degree day by the previous owner in North Carolina. I haven’t taken it to the track. I’ve had it up to 159 MPH and it has room for a bit more. Supposedly the governor is at 165.

I conceded that he’d take me in the quarter mile, but said that I’d catch him and beat him in a standing half-mile. He insists that he’d be able to take me bad enough at the line that I couldnt catch up in a half-mile even when he hit his top end. What do you think?

It all depends on how fast he tops out and how long it takes you to get to a point where you can start to increase your speed past his top speed, and how fast you can accelerate past it. example, say you top at 165, he tops at 126, you are faster in the long run, but how long does it take you to reach said speed? I would say you have a decent chance of beating him, but I dunno. I am a landscaper, not a physics professor.

you’ll lose

yeah…did what I say make sence lol…Im wicked tired, just got back from taking an old guy to the hospital so my brain is alittle scrambled at the moment…damn diabetics.

It made sense. I was thinking the same thing, if he runs a mid-10 second quarter he’ll probably be at his top speed, and i’ll probably be between 2 and 2.5 seconds back. I’d have to get up past 125 and make up 2 seconds in the second quarter mile

what did your car trap @?

Thats what I am thinking. the main problem is how long it takes to catch up to him, after that you should walk him no problem if there is room left. But catching him is the main delema. You would have to be going 127+ in the first place to get to him.

Depends entirely on how fast you could get up to above that magic mark. But for now I’m saying you’d lose in the 1/2, but be gaining.

thats why I voted for popsicle lol

if he’s hitting high tens, and you’re doing low 13’s in the quarter, then you would catch up , but he would still win. I think you’d gain 2 seconds on the second quarter…unless you have a rediculously quick top gear

I vote Ninja, for the simple fact that at 120+ mph that last 1/4 of a mile will go by very quickly, not allowing you much time to build speed and catch up.

60 mph = 1 mile per minute.
120 mph = 1 mile per 30 seconds
120 mph = .5 mile per 15 seconds
120 mph = .25 mile per 7.5 seconds

dawt

yeah, you would lose…though I kinda want to vote for popsicle…i think im gonna

I voted popsicle because it is hot out.

If you have to make up 2 seconds on him in the second quater AND he traps @ 120 and stays there you would have to AVERAGE 163.63 MPH through out the last quater.

So bring a big shot with you.

The C6 coupe only hits 154mph in the standing MILE, so I say no chance in hell you beat him.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=2572&page_number=2

In that case I’d have to switch it to either a 3/4 mile stretch, go from a roll, or bring the popsicle with me.

give him the popsicle, tell him that he has to finish it before he starts and you leave as soon as he starts to eat the popsicle. You would probably win :tup:

the ninja will prevail, figure out what size sprockets he has and i will tell you… my old zx-6r ran 11.3 with 1 tooth down in the front and topped out around 145ish, 1 down in the front is equivalent to going up 2-3 in the rear… so let me know what he did with the sprockets and i can give you a better idea…

I’m going to Tops and telling them I need 2 of the big ones.

hahahaha