Hard Start up - Compression Seems High?

Hard start-up in the AM…only in the AM, car dies on the first turnover, then car runs fine afterwards all day long. scion tc, supercharged…2az-fe (camry) engine.

Dealer has done fuel pressure test- good. No codes. Swapped ECM, MAF, throttlebody, and disconnected my stereo and remote start (originally they blamed my electronics). I’ve been to them 4 times.
Noticed that they returned the car with low coolant to me (like 2 tablespoons in the reserve tank). I refilled the coolant to full and …

i did a compression test today at a local shop for shits and giggles.

180, 200, 178, 176

According to Alldata the acceptable range is 145 - 189, with no more than 14psi difference. That’s on a 2005…i have a 2006 and i don’t think it changed. Are my readings indicative of my problem, or a red herring?

check for vacuum lines that may have been disconnected from boost or improper install on the supercharger.

vac lines look good…over the past month or so, just about every clamp and boot has been reseated and tightened.

but would that cause a high compression in 1 cylinder?

High compression could of been from anything, a bad reading, oil or fuel still in the cyl. They also suggest to squirt a few shots of oil in the cyl. when doing the testing

If compression is low in one or more cylinders, you can isolate the problem to the valves or rings by squirting a little 30 weight motor oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and repeating the compression test. The oil temporarily seals the rings.

If the compression readings are higher the second time around, it means the rings and/or cylinder is worn. No change in the compression readings would tell you the cylinder has a bad valve.

When the compression is found to be too high in one or more cylinders, this would be an indication of excessive carbon buildup in the engine also. It can only be corrected by performing a chemical de-carbonizing process on the engine or by removing the cylinder head(s) and physically removing the carbon that is attached to the cylinder portion of the head(s) and the tops of the pistons

thanks for the information. maybe sea foam?

and would carbon buildup be the cause of my sporadic hard starts in the morning?

maybe, or even a good top engine cleaner… carbon could cause a hard start possibly, pending on what position the valve is in on shut down. but you would have to have some serious carbon build up for that i would believe.