Have you asked anyone the plane/conveyor question

I have asked engineers, quality, operations and even my management team. Most all of them disappointed me with their answers. A handful disappointed me even more by arguing after i explained the physics behind the question.

Its going to be my interview question when I get into management, along with why are manhole covers round.

god that’s the worse part about it. When people get so heated and argue something they clearly don’t understand.

Conveyor belts can’t fly. /thread

+1

• a tradmills movement can’t affect a plane at all beacuse the wheels are freerolling once the brakes are released… You guys do realize that they release the brakes to take off right?

please die :deadhorse:

I mentioned it at work. Wasn’t the best idea. I think I’ll do it again monday. :smiley:

^^^ im gonna bring it back up again too, lol

I mentioned it at work and the office genius tries to school me about the Bernoulli effect, and how it won’t take off :bloated:

It’s funny how many people get pissed off when you disagree.

Anyone with half a brain would know it will take off.

I think its on mythbusters this Wednesday at 9.

I also asked a engineer I work with who said it wouldn’t take off. I punched him in the balls.

I don’t even understand how this is a question…

the treadmill doesn’t mean anything when air speed is all that matters

It all depends on how the question is asked.

It is very easy to make a plane stand still on a tread mill with very little effort form the engines. Once the treadmill gets moving, and the friction factor of the wheels are overcome, a plane can essentially idle to stay at the same speed regardless of the speed of the treadmill. By “Same speed” the plane looks like it is sitting still.

If the question is “If a plane goes the same speed as a treadmill going in the opposite direction” then NO, the plane wont go off. Trick question. The plane is sitting still if the treadmill goes 50 MPH in one direction and the Plane 50 MPH in the other. That would equal ZERO.

However, there is PLENTY of power left with the engine to send the plane moving forward without any problem at all. So, what is the actual question as it started?

So, what question are we trying to solve again? LOL I know that you CAN make a plane take off on a treadmill, but does that destroy the question?

Here is a video to explain what i just explained, but in video
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/plane-vs-treadmill-solved-ii/718633121

The plane requires very little to stay motionless on a moving treadmill, and EASILY can take off if it wanted to.

BTW, 1 hour till the Mythbusters episode :slight_smile: