Head light Mod question...

i see alot of scion people go HID head lights, but i was thinking going LED,

how hard would this be to do if i got a extra pair of headlights

any info, parts and stuff like that would be awesome.

i don’t think that the output of an LED compares to a xenon bulb.

Typical HID output: 3200 lumens
Typical LED output: 1 Lumen

Have fun with your 10,000 dollar headlight assembly. Also since you will need 6400 LEDs at .1875 OD, you will need a to find 177 square inches to mount them.

lol.

[quote=“newman,post:2,topic:24937"”]

[/quote]

yea i doubt it would be any brighter/as bright as HID’s

Have fun with your 10,000 dollar headlight assembly. Also since you will need 6400 LEDs at .1875 OD, you will need a to find 177 square inches to mount them.

lol.

[/quote]

welp never mind then, i saw like the new audi r8 and such are coming with LED headlights, and it kinda got me interested.

but o well

[quote=“Bsp TC,post:4,topic:24937"”]

welp never mind then, i saw like the new audi r8 and such are coming with LED headlights, and it kinda got me interested.

but o well

[/quote]

buy an audi A8…

im going from a tc to an audi :slight_smile:

well the R8 is priced over a 100k, so i doubt anytime soon, or ever for that matter

[quote=“Bsp TC,post:4,topic:24937"”]

but o well

[/quote]

i would not consider those headlights, they are more like daytime running lights not really bright enough to do anything

i know they make projects with LED’s like this

maybe ill just buy a pair

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-06-SCION-TC-BLACK-HALO-LED-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS_W0QQitemZ200081874538QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33710QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[quote=“Bsp TC,post:8,topic:24937"”]

i know they make projects with LED’s like this

maybe ill just buy a pair

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-06-SCION-TC-BLACK-HALO-LED-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS_W0QQitemZ200081874538QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33710QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[/quote]

those just have LED accenting. Still uses a halogen or xenon metal halide bulb

As an engineer who works with and designs with Hi-Power LEDs on a daily basis…

LED headlights are possible but require some pretty heavy engineering with thermal management, and optical design to get the pattern right and the output levels correct. And even with this the size of the lights have to be fairly large in comparison to most modern headlights.

We’re working on something that would be similar to output intensity wise to a single 35/50W HID bulb (What’s the standard Automotive headlight), and it’s about 8" x 4" in size, outputs about the same as the HID and falls off light output about the same, but costs a LOT more, not to mention the many many hours just in the optical design.

LED technology has come a long way and there are some VERY powerful LEDs out there, but without a lot of effort, know-how, and $$$$$$; headlight technology is not really ready yet.

The A8 and Bently are exceptions, and where $$ is no issue and Hella/Goodrich is backing it, it is possible.

Not even mentioning the power and heat-sinking required for the amount of heat generated by the LEDs is a LOT more than a HID system, even an over-driven 35W HID system.

If you want something unique, over-drive a 35W HID system; run a 35W bulb with a 50W ballast; This is not something that I’ve seen done very much, but it adds about another 50% brightness to the bulb.

[quote=“Mrs. Karus,post:5,topic:24937"”]

buy an audi A8…

im going from a tc to an audi :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Why is it that just most tC owners owns their tC for a year and sell/trade it in?

[/quote]

There are hi-power White LEDs with over 120 Lumens per LED. (Luxeon K2 Whites as an example, the Lumileds Rebel has even more lumens (Not released yet, in early pre-release stage), and Cree has a couple hi-power white LEDs that are very similar in output

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:12,topic:24937"”]

There are hi-power White LEDs with over 120 Lumens per LED. (Luxeon K2 Whites as an example, the Lumileds Rebel has even more lumens (Not released yet, in early pre-release stage), and Cree has a couple hi-power white LEDs that are very similar in output

[/quote]

I have some of the Luxeon K2’s… they’re ridiculous. Fun to play with too.

It takes about 35 of the highest bin of output of K2s with properly designed optics and thermal management (That’s about 100 Watts of pure heat that needs to be conducted away) to be about equalivent to a 35W HID with optics.

[quote=“FuzzyFish,post:11,topic:24937"”]

Why is it that just most tC owners owns their tC for a year and sell/trade it in?

[/quote]

because they’re gay

but i still miss mine

[quote=“newman,post:9,topic:24937"”]

those just have LED accenting. Still uses a halogen or xenon metal halide bulb

[/quote]

i know that i was just saying

and i like my tc so far, would be a ton more fun with boost but i dont have the money

http://www.imtra.com/product/marine_lighting/underwater_lighting/led_underwater_lights/sea_led_underwater_lights.htm

i saw those at a boat show in florida… ridiculous pricing, but if you have the boats that can house the lighting whats a couple thousand dollars per fixture… regardless they were BRIGHT as hell… Hids would be much cheaper though :wink:

you can always do the 9005 retro fit I did in mine… 1000lumens to 1700lumens for 20$ and 10 minutes

i love my tc, especially after I fixed up the suspension :slight_smile: … i dont know what everyone else is complaining about