HID Headlight Discussion.

So on this board there is always a split on who thinks what about OEM HID lights and aftermarket HID kits. So last night on my way home from x-gates, I drove down kings road which is fairly dark with little to no street lights at all. My car is a 2008 Acura TSX with factory HID lights that are amazing. Now a common complaint I see all over the internet is the “cut-off” on non-oem, non projector headlights. I agree that the glare coming off a dodge neon with a HID kit sucks badly for me driving the other way, how good is the light output in the neon??? I say this because as I was driving home, rolling down some pretty minor “hills” the cut-off on my TSX is so sharp that it was hard to see if anything was above the cut-off limiting my visibility. It wasn’t a situation to use my hi-beams on or I would have, plus I wanted to see just how good the OEM HID is in every situation. I also own a 2009 Subaru Impreza with non-HID projector headlights that I wouldn’t mind putting a HID kit in to give me some more light out-put and I think the little glare would also give me a tad bit more visibility above the cut-off. What’s everyone else’s opinions?

all i know is that anything brighter then 4300k-4500k~ you cannot see aswell. thats what oem is.

just wondering whats wrong with your halogen lights in the subaru? i’ve got oem halogen projectors in the evo and i can see great at night.

I have the drop ins in my Civic, because the stock bulbs were horrible. I figured instead of $40 for the Silverstar bulbs, I would spend a little more and get HIDs. I did research before buying them, so I know how the higher kelvin temp bulbs have less usable light output, and that stock factory HIDs, in most cars are around 5100k, so I got 6000k. My car sits low enough, and honestly I dont care if it is annoying to other drivers. I have to deal with Explorers and Tahoes and shit that there lights are eye level to my car.

oem is 4300-4500. idk where you say 5100.

After a few years of burn in, they level to about 5100k.

Are you that lazy where you can’t turn your highbeams on if you are driving down a dark road with no street lights?

Thats the whole point of high beams to begin with.

So just because some d-bag in an exploroer is blinding you, you find it okay to do the same to others?

HID’s in an improper housing is dangerous to other drivers on the road. That and its also illegal.

That being said, I think anyone who rocks HID’s in an improper housing, especially knowing the effects of it on oncoming drivers is an idiot and should be shot.

I guess I am an idiot that needs to be shot then. :frowning: To justify the HIDs, I really dont drive at night much anyways, and its all backroads here, I do live in Cobleskill. FML

It’s the people who full on know they are blinding other drivers that really piss me off.

Most people are misinformed now with all these places selling “Drop in, plug and play” HID kits selling nearly everywhere and dont realize that an HID unit in the improper housing scatters the light in such a way that blinds other drivers.

If this is to me, other cars were on the road at the time when i noticed this. Lazy hahaha

if there are cars coming the other way then you simply turn the lowbeams on and use the light that the oncoming cars are shining onto the road in conjunction with your lowbeam HID in order to see where you are going.

Aim your HID projectors really high :lol

Just put HIDs in the truck. The new housings create a nice cut off. They aren’t blasting unusable light like some. I have 5k lows and 4300 fogs. Big improvement!

Tottally agree, gives me a whole new outlook now. I used to have those obnoxious blue hid’s amd I see why people used to get pissed .Now I am so low, a truck/car with hids is killer at a light or on your ass .

Then shoot me too.

The light isnt really that bad, I don’t know what everyone is bitching about. Drive down the thruway at night like I do EVERY day. You can pick out, high beams, low halogens, OEM HIDS, and drop in HIDS in reflector housings, and 6K+ drop ins that are retarded. The simple fact is that all the ones I pass, A, I have no problem staying in my lane, on the road and keep from hitting people around me while they go past, and B, honestly even with the blatant drop in HIDS they are not even as bad as someone with high beams on or normal lights aimed too high.

I will drive past you in my stock jetta housings, aimed slightly down with drop in 6k’s and they are not offensive at all. And my GF’s saab with projectors and the same drop in kit are money. they look completely stock, like the Aero package headlights. As far as I know the headlight housings are the same HID/non HID.

It is all the driver, not the cars around you. How many times did a full sized truck come up behind you, completely stock and legal, and blind the shit out ouf your rear view or side mirrors? Did you all of a sudden stuff your car into a tree? I hope not, and I assume all you did was, gee I dont know… NOT LOOK DIRECTLY INTO THE LIGHT???

And I would like to honestly see the law stating that you cant put a different bulb in the housing. I dont see a big old DOT stamp on silverstars or other off the shelf bulbs? Not to mention the housing it self on the car is DOT stamped, changing that to an aftermarket NON-DOT… yes is illegal.

Side note you want obnoxious lights, my old jeep with 4 HiLighters on the roof, 2 in the bumpers and drop in 6k hids in reflector housings… I could spot light a deer in Texas with that sucker.

+rep for the idea

People hate driving infront of me…

I hope I am not infront of you …ASSHOLE jk

Dooky…IF i see you , I’ll be shur to turn them on. 285,000 candelpower per lamp x 7 = F@#%N Brite…

JK