different color headlights..

the one side of my hid’s is shorting out, i cant tell if its coroded or not, but anyways…

is it like “illegal” to have different color headlights? the one side would be the average “yellow” type bulb and the other is a 12k HID bulb

im assuming this would be better than having one headlight as i already got pulled over once…

i only have one reg bulb otherwise i would just throw in 2, and i need to go somewhere tonight

this is probably a stupid question lol

I’d throw both halogens in. 12k’s will draw enough unnecessary attention to you as it is…and with the contrast to the halogen you’ll be asking for problems.

ah!! i said i only have one halogen lol

12k hid bulbs are super blue. Generally, 4500k-5000k bulbs are the whitest, and once you start going above 5000k they become more blue, lower than 4500k and you start to get a yellow tint.

And no, it’s not illegal.

yeah i put in my 5k’s and it was still shorting out so i know its the wiring

just dont know if its to the box for the hid’s or if its the actual wire to the car

Gotcha. Do you have aftermarket ballasts and ignitors, or did your car come with them from the factory? Actually, what do you drive?

an integra

they’re after market ballasts

the kit looks like this… minues a few wires/clips

what are the ignitors? im a n00b

Those ballasts have ignitors built in. Its likely one of your ignitors that are bad, meaning your going to need to buy a new ballast.

Just standard 2 wire HID bulbs or ballasts, easy as pie to find.

well the company i bought them from has a 12month warranty on the kit so ill have to send em back i guess, ill try other bulbs and one of the old halogen ones to see what if is the ballast

If it’s a flickering that’s going on, I doubt it’s the ignitors; they pretty much just “light” the hid bulbs- just like a spark lighting a torch.

Loose wire, maybe? What kind of kit do you have?

edit- if you have a 12 month warranty, send them back and get your new ones. If you can’t for whatever reason, I recommend apexcone slim ballast hids from ddm tuning. You can get them for ~$80 shipped right now.

it turns on, flickers for a few seconds and then shuts off

i got em from www.sparkhid.com because a bunch of people on h-t recommended them (fggts fuck!)

ill check out ddm tuning, because if i have to pay for the shipping of everything fuck ill just buy new ones for 80bucks

plus i HATE my bulbs because of how blue they are

HID’s are illegal when they were not originally in the car, and generally blind oncoming traffic. So having one headlamp with a OEM halogen in it is more legal than before.

12k is INSANELY blue. Anything over 6k is retarded. You should be running OEM bulbs and OEM ballasts in quality projectors, or keep it stock.

Essentially any ‘HID Kit’ made in china is going to be shit and blow up. It could last 2 months, could last 2 years. Over 2 years is rare, however.

i’ve heard anything above 6k is illegal, but 4eye integras have “projectors” built in

Hmmm, that very well could be the ignitors in the ballasts failing.

$80 for drop-ins sounds like they’d be cheap ebay garbage, but these were over $200 not too long ago. A lot of 9-2x guys are using them and have had very minimal complaints. I just ordered a set and I’ll post some pictures when I have them installed.

If you end up getting these, I hear the 5000k is the closest to white with this kit using H1’s.

edit- here’s the website where I ordered mine from.

http://ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

Life-time warranty for the slim ballast hids at the top.

No, ANY modification to your headlight is illegal. You can run OEM Phillips 85122 4100K bulbs in any OEM projector and its illegal if it didn’t come on the car. Regardless of if its ‘DOT’ approved or not.

And im assuming you have a Integra with the stock projectors? Of course its still illegal to have HIDs in there, and you are probably throwing up a good amount of glare. Those projectors are crap to begin with, and are designed for halogens, not HIDs. But properly aligned HID’s in those should be fine for most.

And it doesn’t matter what is failing in the ballast, they’re fully potted and you cant replace just the ignitor. The ballast is done if it wont fire and hold a bulb in the steady state. It ‘could’ be the HID capsule, yes, but its very, very unlikely. You could try testing swapping the bulbs from side to side to test this. But I wouldn’t consider bothering.

Really though, ANY modification to a car is “illegal”" if a cop says it is.

Just aim them low and go with a bulb temp that’s as easy on the eyes as possible. Looking back at it, I wish I would have gone with a 3500k.

cool, ill prob get the new set then, ill go out now and switch out the bulbs from my other front end and let u know what it does

…because u seem oh so interested lol

i have the bulbs aimed down, and ive stood in front and there is really no glare at all no matter my position.

ive drove by cops a million times and have yet to get pulled over.

well actually i did get pulled over and all she told me was my headlight was out, she said nothing about my lights being to blue or bright

Prety much, yes.

And if youre aiming the headlights low, whats the point of having more light output? In the 4-5K range youre going to get the most light.