Header Install--drop steering rack??

hey guys

my friend who does more complicated jobs on my car for me seems to think you have to remove the steering box / rack to get the exhaust manifold off and install the header…is he right?

haha nope dude

go to your local nissan dealership and try and purchase a factory service manual

header install requires nothing but removal of some sheild’s/ emissions crap
and factory exhuast manifold

unless of coarse you buy a s14 manifold under the impression its a s13 if thats the case talk to me haha

Yeah, we swapped a KADE into an S12, which has less room than the S13, and we were able to fit the manifold in easily without dropping anything out of the way.

heres the other thing

the studs and bolts that hold it on- can you recycle them or do you replace them all cause they arent cheap…or like should i get one or 2 as backup in case one breaks?

you don’t have to replace them, but it never hurts.

They aren’t expensive though, they’re just metric studs.

You’re highly unlikely to break the stud. Odds are the nut will just take the stud out of the head with it.

Just keep in mind you might very well strip the threads out of the head when you do, then you’ll have to retap the hole.

hmmmmmmmmm thanks guys, awesome stuff

i think ill just get new studs and bolts in case and return them if not

as well, a fel-pro copper gasket, is that ok to use or should i go stock gasket? their about the same price

copper (as long as it’s a good one) will seal a lot better.

IMHO if they’re close in price, I’d go copper.

what’s the deal with putting an S14 header on an S13, besides the extra bung for the downstream O2?

what’s the deal with putting an S14 header on an S13, besides the extra bung for the downstream O2?