Headers, downpipe, exhaust for my Grand National

Since I am the only one on the face of the planet with a 1985 Buick Grand National I can’t find a set of Headers w/up pipe at all or a 3" (or 2.75" or w/e) downpipe with “cat” back as a package for less than the national debt.

I’m just putting it out there to see if anyone knows of a business or can ballpark me a price on an exhaust for this pig. I’m thinking it will be something astronomical, please tell me I’m wrong.

the headers are the expensive part. Stainless and back purging them properly, in a rather tight engine bay if its mostly/all stock under there is not fun to make from scratch. Rough idea your looking at about $400 in materials alone, and easily 20-40 hrs ball park to make them. Depends on how easily accessable they are from top and bottom to mount a set of flanges on and start cutting and tacking up msc bends and straights. Then your talking a crossover pipe, a collector, atleast 3 vband flanges, a flex or two. that’s the headers and up pipe. the downpipe I would bet is another $100-200 in materials; turbo flange, tube, bends, flex, vband or 2. about 8-12 hrs labor shooting in the dark not seeing the space I would be working with and the exhaust it mates up to.

Rough ballpark
$500-600 in stainless and materials
$1876-3400 in labor! (hours ad up quick)

What is out there for aftermarket parts & cost wise? Quick search found me TAPerforance headers and crossover for $1000, and a $550 downpipe. Naturally the above labor would include the installation.

$1550 for parts leaving about 12hrs labor to meet the lowest end of my est. so I guess I am not too far off on the blind ballpark above.

There is no aftermarket for headers for these, but even 2-3k for a FULL exhaust is not bad IMO.

The only header that actually needs to be custom is the passenger side really. the drivers side is common, and I believe the Up Pipe stays the same as well. I’m really interested to see whats out there and I defiinitely appreciate your estimate!

Anythings possible. I know I can make it all, its just a lot of time so it wont be cheap, and if there is anything else out there mine will probably be more expensive that’s for sure… but that’s because its scratch built not made off a jig with many sets of headers built from it already.

You know my level of detail when it comes to these things… I can say it will be a lot better than those TAPerfromance headers with burnt stainless welds.

Naturally if there is stuff like the drivers side header and such that can stay price will be less.

Exactly my line of thinking here. It’s a lot of time, but bills need to be paid bottom line. If I am going to go the distance and even get the parts, I don’t want junk either. I also would rather spend my money to local business over sending out of state. I’m all for local and I know we have some great talent and great businesses on/around here.

Sell me the car. Then there will be no issues

:rofl - Chances are It is going to be me in the drivers seat going into the ground with this thing… BUT, you never know!

Call 2210812 talk to Anthony he is a old Buick freak and has a ton of parts . Tell him John sent ya

Will do my friend!