Headgasket Thickness Question

I have been looking at some new head gaskets and i have always wondered what is this difference or the advantages of having a thicker head gasket… I was looking at getting a Tomei one to be more specific… But they range anywhere from 87mm 0.6mm - 87mm 1.8mm Is one better than the other? Is bigger always better in this case? Any info regarding this would be good cause I’m thinking I need a new one…

wouldnt that give u more stroke? newb question i know
but thicker would also be stronger too right?
sorry mate i have no idea ,someone answer my questions as they answer his

I believe its all about fucking around with compression, someone clarify?

Yeah, with a thicker headgasket you’ll lose a bit of compression. . .not sure how much . . .try this out if you want to keep a certain compression ratio . . .

http://www.blainetech.net/articles/default.php

You can lose a little compression with a thicker gasket, however the usual use for a thicker one is if you have have the head/block machined to make up the lost material from the machining process.

a little less compression, but thicker does not equal better. If you blow stock head gaskets you have detonation issues

or you are making ALOT more power than stock with tonnes of boost.

On an SR they usually go out around 16 psi of boost, even if there is no detonation. Its mostly the headbolts that are weak so ARP studs are a must too

Im running 16 psi on my stock head gasket and no problems as of yet (knocks on wood)

Ya 16 psi isn’t that much…lots of guys run that much boost without headgasket issues. Mind you depends on the turbo setup aswell.