Heads up, parking in the city...

I parked at my friends house the other night on elmwood and walked out to find a 35 dollar ticket on my car. I have parked in that same spot for the last 5 weeks or so…

From the city of buffalo parking website:

1. Why did I receive a summons for parking on a bus route where there are no signs posted?
    This is a city ordinance, which is in effect every year from November 15th through April 1st, from 1:30a.m. until 7:00a.m., which states that you cannot park on any bus route. Although these signs do not need posting on each street the city does post this ordinance at various main entrances to the City of Buffalo.

I have lived in the city for 3 years now, and have never known this, nor have I ever seen a sign stating this.

Also, WHY DOESN’T IT NEED TO BE POSTED? what a crock. I know this law is in effect in other towns, I suppose it’s my responsibility to know this… I guess. But there were probably at LEAST 200 other cars with tickets on them on elmwood that morning.

What an easy way to make a cool 7 grand, buffalo…

You never heard about that??? seriously?

Lol, not in the city. Other towns, yeah…

hamburg has a parking law stating that you cant park on any village street between midnight and 5am from now until spring. I guess its a good idea for plowing in the winter, but not when theres not snow yet…

I don’t even live in the city and have heard about it.

They’ve been warning about it on the radio for the last 2 weeks.

I posted the thread less to bitch, more to alert other people who may not know…

Lol, well, I haven’t listened to the radio in more than a year, and I don’t think I’ve ever watched a news broadcast intentionally in my entire life…

^ Guess you should turn on the radio once and a while then.

Or just keep paying the “not informed” tax. :wink:

Yeah, it’s certainly mostly my fault, just annoying.

I believe someone else on here also received such a ticket last year as well.

same rules apply for parking in Lancaster from nov 15th - april 1st

Tyler (sedlemselkfslier) was freaking out about this like last year or the year before.

Yea and when overnight a freak storm hits whats the city suppose to do? Step in and say “ok, from this point on now no more parking on the street”

My parents live on w delavan. I hated this law, parking on sidesteeets was a bitch in winter. Bus routes gots ta get plowed though

I live in the city and did not realize this…

Thanks for the heads-up newman. I am totally unaware of this law/rule/policy!

I wouldn’t know about this unless someone told me. I very rarely listen to the radio or watch the news. Oh well… $35 isn’t that bad.

What is your total number of parking tickets add up to?

i found this out the hard way last fall when i parked my truck on the street infront of my house. I called the village of depew to ask about the random parking ticket and i was told it was posted on a sign entering the town line.lol

I actually made it through an entire winter last year w/o a parking ticket.
I usually end up with one or two for the year when I forget to pull my car in.

I had not heard about the bus routes in the city thing though. Tonawanda makes it easy… just stay off all the streets.

I haven’t been parking in my driveway lately and by chance I parked in it last night. I wake this mourning to find that every car on the street got a parking ticket. My girlfriend and both my roommates and everyone on the street.

I looked up the law and you can’t park on any bus route from 1:30am-7:00am Nov 15- Apr 1 and a sign doesn’t even have to be posted.

The thing that sucks is that I lived here all last winter and took it that since the sign was on one side of the road, that I couldn’t park on that side from 1:30am-7:00am. So we would make sure our cars were on the other side by 1:30am, which they pretty much always were since there is also no parking on that side from 7:00am-9:00am. No one ever got a ticket for this all last winter.

I live on a major North-South road in Buffalo, so it’s not like some rinky dink street cops don’t drive on. I’m not looking for sympathy and I’m all about mass transit, but it sucks that people that work, go to school, and are successful enough to have cars move out of the city because of bull shit like this. I really like living where I’m living and was gunna stay for a few years, but we are not dealing with parking super far away another winter after this. It’s too late now, but over the summer I will have to move.

Plenty of other roads in Buffalo have you alterate which sides you can park on during the winter overnight so they can take turns plowing each side. So if you live on a bus route you are fucked. I called and they said people were complaining that the road wasn’t getting plowed, but the side we didn’t park on last year didn’t get plowed most of the time anyways. My landlord lives below us and owns the house. I know she will be super excited that she has tenants that pay on time every month and are leaving. You have to love how efforts to make money by municipalities drive people away. I mean if everytime you went through Nottingham Forest Robin Hood stole a bunch of money from you, would you keep going through that fucking forest?

I guess, this isn’t my first experience with something stupid that I’ve put up with from city workers so I am just sick of it. The city needs to make people want to live there, and improve their communities. They would make so much more in taxes if they cut this pety shit and inticed people to fix up some of the houses and lots that they are making nothing off of.

LOL repost. Newman posted it this morning. I will merge the threads in a minute.