Help - Car is completely dead.

My battery died in my car over the winter. I jumped it the other day, let it run for 20 minutes and drove it for a while. I parked it, turned it off and restarted it. The next day I went out to see if the battery held the charge. I turned on the ignition, all the lights came on. I then tried to start it. It cranked for a split second, the I heard a pop and it went completely dead. I bought a new battery today, and it is still DEAD. NOTHING works. No lights, ignition, keyless, radio, NOTHING.

I checked the fuses and they all apeared to be good.

What could possibly have blown that would make NOTHING work?

Did the wires going to the starter get to hot and melt. From u cranking it to much u might have melted a wire.

once a lead acid battery goes dead it usually wrecks havoc on it, especially in the winter and yu leave it that way…sounds like the pop was just the last ditch effort to release a charge and the battery is dead again, replace it and let us know

Originally posted by BlueMeanieTSi
once a lead acid battery goes dead it usually wrecks havoc on it, especially in the winter and yu leave it that way…sounds like the pop was just the last ditch effort to release a charge and the battery is dead again, replace it and let us know
didnt u read this part he wrote:tounge: I bought a new battery today, and it is still DEAD. NOTHING works. No lights, ignition, keyless, radio, NOTHING.

yeah i did but until you said something i had to read it 3 times to see that part dunno what my brain was doing…

got me there, there would def have to be a fuse or a burnt wire involved at that point, i’;d say alt fuse but when those go the car still starts it just doen’st operate 1/2 the elecrtrical ssytem (most of the time.

Originally posted by BlueMeanieTSi
yeah i did but until you said something i had to read it 3 times to see that part dunno what my brain was doing…

got me there, there would def have to be a fuse or a burnt wire involved at that point, i’;d say alt fuse but when those go the car still starts it just doen’st operate 1/2 the elecrtrical ssytem (most of the time.
hahahaha and u import guys say us domestic guys are stupid:tounge:

i never said that :finger:

well lets see. my only guess would be get a volt meter and start checking to see if you are getting power to the fuse panel on the drivers side of the dash. and work around the whole fucking car till you find where the power stops. check under the hood at the fuse panel under the hood

did u check the starter relay??? If u can switch it with something else that is the same relay.

I switched the ignition relay with the starter relay and also with the fan#1 relay. Still no power.

how about check your ternminals. chould not be making good connection
with the new battery

Originally posted by Quik
how about check your ternminals. chould not be making good connection
with the new battery

That’s not it. Something popped for sure. The circuit is broken somewhere.

just call us tomorrow we will get it figured out for ya:cool:

Get the ohm meter out… and test for resistance start from the battery…

fusable link on pos cable burnt? no ecm no complete circut.

Fixed it. Somehow the rubber casing around the postive terminal melted slightly and the wires pull off of the mounting bolt.