Help: Installing a car sub on a home theature reciever.

Well I have a HiFonics sub laying around that I cant seem to sell, and have had been without a subwoofer on my home theater system for quite some time…I did some quick google searches, but nothing helped me too much. How would I go about doing this? Has anyone tried it yet? Links to products that I should buy are appreciated. THanks!

Well after some more in depth searching I found some tips on how to do it…But my next question is, How would I get the audio output from the home receiver to the amp?

I’ve used a car amp to power a sub before, useing a PC powerpack to power it. never used a car sub to a home theater tho… I dont think it will be good for the system tho. different ohms I beleive.

My roommate did that in college, but I am not sure how. I will see if I can find out.

Cool, THanks

I’m not an expert, but if you are running a dedicated amp just for the sub then you need either:

a) A receiver that has pre-amp outputs (just like a car headunit, these would be the RCA cables)
OR
b) An amp that accepts line-level inputs (speaker wire) from your receiver

If your receiver has a line level output for the sub channel you CAN just hook it up to the sub, though it may not sound great since I believe most receiver amps would probably be underpowered for the sub.

right on…

you have to be careful with ohm loads too. most home stuff is 8ohms. most car stuff is 4. pending on the sub it might be a dual 4 ohm voice coil. if it is your in good shape just run it series to get 8 ohms.

I am not real sure where you would pick up a home style amp to power that bitch?

Trader Jacks?

Most real home audio amps would have no issue with a 4 ohm load. Look at dedicated mono block sub amps. if thats not enough power look at pro audio sub amps- should be more than enough. Clarity will probably be a lot better than most car audio amps also.

Your final result is really going to come down to your enclosure. Also, keep enclosure design in mind when you are thinking about power handling.

i used to have 4 car speakers in my room i dought they was runnin at full output but it was load and slammed
all i did was had 1 10 in a bandpass and 1 ten in a ported box
and 2 6x9s in sealed boxes
i just ran them straight form the reciever and u need to have a reciever wit out a powered sub out put
i tried to do it again wit a reciever i got but everyone i talked to at audio shops told me that the powered sub out put wont work (wich i already knew)
well i donno if that helps u but thats how i did it