Car Amp to Home Theater?

Hi im new here and i’ve seen your site, and I came across it from a friend.
From the last cuple of posts I have bin reading I can see that you guys know your shite. But I have a problem and I hope you can help me…

How does one hook up a CAR amp to a home Theater system for more power useing the pre amp outlet on the Receiver?. With out useing a car battery. would a multi voltage adapter work?

noob post and of topic in one…wow.

i don’t know the answer but welcome…

try to ask a car audio shop they might know

that would be like using a hairdryer + microwave, hate to see that electric bill

noob forum is above this forum, i suggest you use it :beer:

use a transformer from a train set. it you dont plan on suppling to much power. you can also use a battery charger but i would link it to a battery first or jsut use a power inverter

alright, thanks.

you will burn out the charger … and you don’t want the gas that the battery leaves off in the house … we used a charger to set up demo’s and burnt them right on up … go out and by a transfromer from radio shack

i did it and had no problem with it. i only had the radio on for short periods of time. he can get a inverter. a transformer only ups or downs voltage. it has nothing to do with converting ac to dc. he needs a inverter not a transformer

You need a power inverter plain and simple. Good ones arn’t cheep either. I have one that runs my car for indoor shows. Its basically what they use for store display models. Its 45 or 50 amps and it cost me 280.

Oh yeah and the more compact they are the higher the cost.

here is a link to show you what I mean.

http://www.cascadeaudio.com/prod/powersupp.html

i have 2 12’s built into a love seat with a 1000w amp… you need an ac/dc inverter as sightnpound said!

are you serious?

why ?

yeah no buying that at radioshack for a 1000w amp…i could barely run a 300w one off a 10amp

you dont always need the higher claim amps to push subs. what some ppl do with 1000w amps ppl can do with a 300w amp.

I think what kurt was saying is he only had a 10 amp inverter and it wasn;t enough to run the 300 watt amp so you would have to go with one of the bigger ones and they don;t sell them at radioshack…

yuppers

i had a couple inverters… yeah shaggy i’m serious… i dont use it now… it was a college dorm thing. :slight_smile:

I used an old AT computer power supply. A higher quality one will run a beefy amp. You can even use the power switch from it to turn it on/off.

computer power supply?

I’ve bin looking around and I found this a radioshack an AC to DC converter
I dont know but would this work to power a car amp in a home, over a long period of time??

>.http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=RadioShack&category=Power+Supplies&product=2208247

3-AMP

amps can pull up to 25-30 amps from your electrical system in your car.