Help me build a computer

I am looking to build up a decent computer, so that I can get back into some of the gaming

I was thinking AMD since that seem to be the way to go

I really dont know much about their processors and what MoBos go well with them. So any suggestions there?

Looking at like 1GB of memory, easy enough.

and some sort of decent vid card for ~$200, again Ive been out of the loop for too long so I dont know whats a good card at the price range.

Im looking to spend about 800 or less when all is said and done. I have a couple of nice HDs so those aren’t a prob, unless there would be some sort o issue switching from a p4 to and amd.
A many thanks.

do you need a monitor and keyboard and crap?

No HDD issues, dont worry. Do you have a case/ power supply/ fans? 1GB ram should do just fine. I personally like ATI’s Radeon Vid cards, but some people swear by Geforce…

www.newegg.com is your friend with this.

I have a 9800PRO for sale.

Yeah I know newegg very well, I will be fine with the case and PS and that part of it, I just really dont know the AMD processors very well, there were so damn many I dont know what is better than the next one, and what mobo will pair well.

How much for the 9800, probably out of my price range, but who knows.

Otherwise I have the otehr hardware, unless someone has a nice flatscreen, LCD, CRT or whatever for sale for a cheap enough price.

and this Processor will rock anything you wanna do.

$77.99 - PLEXTOR Black IDE DVD Burner Model PX-740A/SW-BL - Retail
$61.99 - Antec Solution SLK1650B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Retail
$76.99 - TwinMOS 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4300) Unbuffered System Memory Model TM533/1GB - OEM
$92.00 - ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$284.00 - Albatron PC6800GT Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$152.00 - AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Priced it out at newegg.com puts you close to $750 or so there. And room for expandablity.

Could save a bit of money by substituting:
CPU - AMD64 3000+ $30
Case - Get a cheap one with a cheap, powersupply should work but I wouldn’t recommend it. Quality > Price ($15 or so)
CD-Drive - Any could go with a cheapo drive. Again Quality > Price type thing ($10-20)

This is assuming you don’t need a monitor/keyboard/mouse

EDIT: If your on a budget check out local thrift stores. Lately I’ve seen a few 17", and 19" CRTs for like $15-25 each.

I just built one a few weeks ago. You can search through the nerd forum for my threads. I had an issue related to RAM but its all good now.

I bought a 19" LCD from Newegg for aout $270

The rest of the computer is

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8N Neo4-F Mobo
Crucial 512mb x 2 DDR400 RAM
200GB SATA HD
Nvidia GeForce 6600 265mb video card
Lite-On DVD burner
Comp USA Floppy drive
Antec 430w Power Supply

All of that including the monitor was under $1,000. Seems to be working out very well. My videocard could be better but it still plays games like FEAR on medium settings (which look great) no problem.

$$?

You guys are the bestestest (yeah thats right, Im making up words now, “so what wanna fight about it?!”)

Listen to the fish.

Nice pricing this out, but I HAVE to reccomend this processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

$40 more, and lots more fun.

I’m looking to build one too and get rid of my PIII 550mhz computer lol

great info :tup:

I still say dont rule out Intel, though, they do make some excellent processors. My Laptop has:
3.0p4 with Hyperthreading
128 Radeon 9700
512 Ram

and it still rocks, even after owning it for 18 months.

Ok well once this is builtttt there will be a decent p4 for sale. . .start the bidding…NOW!

For gaming, AMD all the way.

LOLOLOLOL

yea…deff some good ideas here…i jsut built a computer months back…and i kinda wanna build another one…

bah…stupid computers

Good midrange cards for the moment…

6600gt
X800GTO

The last 2 are 12 pipe cards that can be unlocked to 16 with a softmod,6600 is a awesome card and its down in the 150-175 range.

I’ll be building one in the summer hopefully, It’s going to be a bit crazy for I do alot of gaming :wink:

what are they worth used? I think I paid like 200 a yr ago.