Help me decide

I voted 02 WRX Wagon, though I might be a bit biased. Also if you buy a Sedona Pearl Red one I’ll kill you. :wink:

If you want a car you can keep stock the STI is the way to go, but parts are quite pricey. Where as the WRXs in that year are not.

For Auto-x Power isn’t an issue there isn’t really enough to break the tires loose in 2nd even in the rain, in the rain you might get it to spin a bit. The big issue is turbo lag you have to get on the throttle way early, or ride the brakes through a corner. In stock form you would be hard pressed to break it loose even intentionally for the most part unless it’s wet or snowy, you less you can transfer the weight just right through the corner which which I have found extremely tough to do.

They tend to have heavy roll, but really it’s only there to scare the driver. However it will slow you down a bit in slaloms. :slight_smile:

SI01 added a stiffer sway bar in the rear to counter act the understeer, and a bit of the roll. However I’m leaving mine stock so I can use it to learn better maintain my balance consistently in a corner.

It’s no STI, and occasionally I would like to have one. But I wanted something inexpensive to maintain/practical/reliable/quick. This car fit the bill perfectly and with 86k on mine I’ve grown quite fond of it.

The WRX and STI are worlds apart though in every way except maybe interior trim.

Main difference you’ll see between the civic and the WRX on a daily basis is:

-Heavier clutch
-Heavier steering
-A deep hatred for FWD
-A tad less understeer (If you civic was stock that is)
-A love of snow

Without reading what everyone else posted, don’t stay with wrong wheel drive, you will be much happier with ether of the scoobys.

Why not just make the civic drivable for now…and spend another few months saving up, then get the STi? Shouldn’t stretch yourself thin over anything you don’t need…but an investment so huge as a car shouldn’t be anything less than what you 100% really truely want…

You’re right, with the wagon you would always wonder why you didn’t get the STi…and if you got the STi now, you’re going to always regret being stretched thin…simple solution is patience…save up a bit longer, put a bigger down payment on it, have smaller monthly payments, and have the toy of your dreams…a toy that serves a practical use too…getting you from A to B…

Saving? What the hell is that? I have to wait? Fuck that, I want my toys now. Hello $600 a month car payment. :lol:

STI 4 shizzle

The problem with the civic is the normal civic stuff - starting to rust, 200K miles and I need to start replacing bushings and bearings and such. The steering ratio on the rack sucks ass for autocross. It has power nothing, so as for a comfortable DD it sucks. I was in an accident last year and needed to replace a bunch of parts on it then (Earl Scheib paint job). Oh - it won’t pass inspection because it’s OBDII with an OBDI ECU in it, so I haven’t had a legit inspection on it in almost 2 years. That’s something I’d like to get away from as well.

As for the wagon in STX - never. Go slick or go home. However, after checking results from nationals, it looks like the wrx is fairly competitive. I’ll have to look into that a little bit now. Might save me tire costs a little too.

I do have too much love for the civic. We’ve been through a lot together. But as I mature, things like power steering appeal to me (especially when I rock the 225 slicks).

hey Jim,

I would go only get another car if you can get a good deal on the civic. You just finished the swap and now going turbo, and in the mist of it you’re gonna sell out? What are you planning to do with the civic if you get another car? I know the obd2 thing sucks, and it’s fwd, but weren’t you first in SM last year anyways?

Oh, and I voted for sti lol

I didn’t win SM, I came in second to Andy (99_civic_si). But I did win Cone Killer!

Only because andy’s car is faster and lighter :stuck_out_tongue:

no offense to andy lol

But yea, you will be be very competitive locally w/ the turbo on.