New Car Advice.

i’m looking to buy a new (to me) vehicle in the near future. give your advice/$.02, but don’t be a retard about it.

Criteria:

-has to be a DD, year round car. i don’t want a truck or SUV. wouldn’t mind a wagon though (WRX? who else makes cool wagons?)

-2004 or newer.

-don’t want it to have more than 45K-50K miles.

-looking to spend from 14K-17K.

-manual gearbox.

-RWD or AWD really preferred, but there are a few FWDs i wouldn’t mind. i learned to drive on a RWD and i’ve driven another one for almost three years, and i love RWD. AWD would be great for the winter, but FWD wouldn’t be bad either. this really depends on the platform.

-reasonably good gas mileage. i definitely don’t want a guzzler but i don’t need a sipper. this really isn’t that big a deal.

-something that will respond well to a few bolt ons. the idea of a factory forced induction car comes to mind her, but it’s not just limited to that. i tried playing the “i’ll pay $80 for an advertised 7whp and barely get a seat of the pants difference” :wstupid: game and it was gay.

that’s about it. i’ve looked at a few things with mild interest, but i wasn’t serious about buying back then so i’m not going to hold a grudge.

i drove an 02-03 RSX Type S from Lia Honda in the fall of last year and i was kinda let down. perhaps it was just that individual car, but the clutch felt so mushy and sloppy and the engagement point was very high up. shifter felt nice and tight, however, and so did the steering and suspension. i’m probably gonna steer away from a honda as i’m not that partial to huge high revs for power. (please don’t take any offense, honda guys.)

it seems like the primary candidate at the moment is an 04-05 WRX. they look good, go quick (and respond well to mods), are turbocharged, and have just the right amount of luxury to be a DD without going nuts. haven’t driven one yet, but i’ve heard good things. the only thing that worries me with this is trying to find one locally. maybe i’m not looking hard enough. if anyone can point me towards one (semi) locally that hasn’t been beaten on i’d appreciate it.

i’ve also been toying with the idea of an 03-04 BMW 3 series. it’s one of the most beautifully designed cars i know of and i still stare everytime i see one. i don’t know that much about options/availability, but i’m almost positive i’d want an I-6 with a 5M/6M. the only problem about that is keeping within the mileage limit and making that work with the price.

i’ve also thought about a newer Mustang GT with a 5M. kinda wary of fuel economy, but it doesn’t worry me too much since it’s used in so many of Ford’s current vehicles. i’d also love the RWD and i’m a sucker for fords (learned to drive on one and i own one), so…

thanks in advance for your thoughts. let 'er rip.

BMW 3 Series
Honda Accord
Tiburon GT
IS300
Lincoln LS
Mazda 6
Nissan Altima

If it must be a all year round car. I would definitely suggest a AWD vehicle.

you could pick up an 04 WRX for i think around 15 or 16. Very fun cars, and great in the snow :slight_smile:

If i didn’t have my wrx, i’d pick up a e46 for sure.

yeah it’s my number one choice so far. haven’t found anything that i like better. slightly hard to find this time of year/in this area.

can’t say anything against the series besides slightly high prices.
not really interested in the accord, tib, 6, or the altima. just don’t seem to fit me.

my mom recently picked up an '02 LS with the 3.0 V6. it’s just ever so slightly underpowered but handles like a dream. i’d probably want one with the 3.9, but then again these are kinda big and long. not good for parking at UB.

thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

get a used 04 legacyGT and have something different.

check autotrader. there will be more than 100 within 2-300 miles.

legacy will be larger, more comfy and not as “boy ricer” as a wrx. plus everyone and there mom has WRXs/STis now:ham:

Mazda 3 hatch!

i know!~ i’m especially tempted by the MS3 but i think that’s out of my price range…

My accord is a good winter car, i cant really complain, before i had my jeep it was all i had for the winter.

hm this really never crossed my mind. these look good as well. i saw one in front of barnes and nobles on the BLVD and it was all decked out winter style. black steelies, and somehow the ride height was raised like 2-3 inches. looked really awesome and i still think about it from time to time:eekdance:

accords are classy IMHO. i see 03-04 6M coupes sometimes and i like them a lot.

I bought my Mazda3 3 years ago and still love driving it. :smiley:

I’ve driven a Speed 3 and its amazing! (for the price of course) but I still cant bring myself to trade in for it. I just really like my car.

Take a normal 3 hatch out for a spin. Theres a reason Edmonds has rated it the top compact car since it came out in '04.

the only thing i am hesitant with about this is that it might not be what i’m looking for in terms of performance. obviously handling will be more than i need, but straight line/highway performance is big on my list.

but i actually really love the idea of versatility and having a hatch in general. i wouldn’t have to bend my snowboard like a banana everytime i take it somewhere lol.

if i didnt have my e46, i think i would of gotten a wrx…or newer legacy gt

so i guess it’s narrowed down to 2:

WRX vs E46.

not a bad way either way.

Get a leg! or a FXT. perfect for daily driver:lolham:

hm, you lost me. internet speak is messing with me at 3 AM

legacyGT

OR
Forrester FXT
http://www.accessecu.com/images/cobb-fxt.png

:deadhorse2: i’m dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

i read a Technobabble in SCC a couple months back where Dave Coleman did various shit to a Forester and raved about it. he changed the master brake cylinder, anti-roll bar, shifter bushings (i think), and he might have done tires/pads. that fool loves being innovative.