Help me find a mountain bike

thats where i live, i was goin there today

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP TELLING HIM CABLE DISC BRAKES ARE IMPROVEMENT OVER V’S… THEY AREN’T!!!

^^ werd but it will cost wayyy more…

or this can come around and bite you in the ass. not everyone was as gentle on thier bikes as you were mr.nelson…

so like i said the first time the best bang for your buck will be a trek. sorry for the incompitance of the salesmen at berts. if you want to talk to someone who knows thier mtb shit you can come back into the one in op and talk to brian if hes there. i can help you if you want to get into bmx. i just convinced bert to let me pick up a bunch of sweet lines including s&m, fit, metal, fbm, terrible one, primo, odyessy, and premium products…

^wrd

It wasn’t incompitance at berts it was more a problem with them assuming i was going to buy the first bike they suggested and it was over my price range to begin with. The piranha was a great bike, with great suspension but i wasn’t about to spend more money for a bike that didnt look good at all. I don’t understand why they didn’t just paint the thing a solid color.

I do appreciate all the help though. I did ride my buddys fisher with cable disks and they did feel much better than the squeezy (my technical term) kind. As far as bmx, im not so into those, i like a bigger bike, im gonna be riding this miles at a time theres no way im getting my fat arse on a bmx.

I did a little bit of searching on websites. some of my thoughts: 100mm seems to be the standard for forks. there are some out there without hydraulic damping, avoid them. Stick with rock shox, marzocchi or manitou. I would shoot for at least shimano deore or sram x5 ( I think that is the equivalent) level drivetrain components. The avid discs are a good selling point, hayes mx2 are decent. I think they are an improvement over v’s at this pricepoint but don’t let it make or break your decision. Wheelset is also important, tough to say on the rims but I’d look for shimano hubs vs some other names or the ones that simply say ‘alloy hubs’.
Frame, fork and wheelset are the most important. Everything else is easily breakable/expendable. Make sure it fits you well. Also check out mtbr.com if you haven’t already…Its a huge resource for information.

125 dirtbike… all the power you need… ready to take on any trail… stops on a dime and could be picked up for about the price of some of these new mountian bikes… or even better an enduro

Ask choda about my over the handlebar adventure lol. lets just say I lost ALOT of blood.

cable-actuated discs are NOT an improvement over v-brakes. they are a marketing ploy to make people think they have cool disc brakes on their bike, when in reality they perform worse than the less-cool standard v-brake. they are much more temperamental, difficult to adjust correctly (getting them to not drag while still not being mushy, not squeaking), and at VERY best (although unlikely), provide the stopping power of an cheap v-brake. if you try to do anything that requires a sharp locking of the wheel - hopping on a back tire, stopping and lifing the rear tire, you will find that the discs simply arent strong enough.

the only benefits that they might provide over a rim brake is stopping in wet/muddy conditions, as the disc is more likely to stay dry. a frame/fork with disc brake mounts is good to have in case you want to upgrade, but unless they are hydraulic, stick with v-brakes.

the cable actuated ‘screw in’ piston that squeezes the rotor simply doesnt have the mechanical leverage, especially multiplied by the small size of the rotor in relation to the rim, to be able to stop well.

we’ve both have/have had more than 5 years experience at a shop… we dont have it out against cable discs for no reason…

come to red door on main if your looking for a bike… we can get you anything really… we are closing out all our bikes and selling them basically cost.

edit: the disc brakes we have on our bikes are better than stock v brakes… v brakes are old technology. don’t get them. I know what I’m talking about. Plus disc brakes arn’t designed to lock up on a dime, have to think about it like your car works. i agree that there are shitty disc brakes out there but not the ones we have.

come in and we will get you something cheap

you must not do very much technical riding

ok since alot of you know so much about bikes, when I prdal, the sprocket doesnt move. the pedals will move but the sprocket doesnt…I think something internaly is fucked up. but i dont know how to fix it. it is a Pacific bike, front & back shocks, rachet shift…pretty nice bike. i havnt had it fixed, its been sitting for like 4 years. Would like to fix it though. any takes on what broke?

All I know is my cable disc’s were actually able to stop me out at Plattekill last summer and I know for a fact I would have had problems with V-brakes there. Could also explain why I did not see a single person with V-brakes the whole weekend.

Sure, what brands do you guys sell and where is this place? Id like to come up and check out what you have. BTW my price range isn’t set in stone. Seriously thanks for all your help guys. Free mustache rides, i mean STi rides for all.

Eh… I was able to pull mine out and still land on the feet. Quick reactions and balance >*

^^^ this is pathetic coming from someone who actually works at a bike shop…

actually its a huge piece of shit. its hillarious that you’re giving advice on what bike this guy should get? please tell me your bike has cable disc :biglaugh:

prob cause plattekill is known for its freeriding. besides i bet only you were the one with cable actuated disc brakes. can you even tell the difference between hydro and cable while they are riding past you?>

you know what im done trying to point you in the right direction. redrum [brett] and myself have been riding competitevly since we were liek 13. besides the fact that hes gotta be 26 and im 22 now we have spent like half our life riding plus 5 years a piece working in a shop for a living. enjoy whatever bike you get with cable discs

Ok since there is this huge debate, What type of fluid do these use? Are they hard to maintain?

hydros will be out of your price range on a new bike. i suggest if you do want to upgrade like brett said get a bike that will accept the discs but since everyone is so against v’s you could pick up a set of shimano xt v-brakes with the parellel pull and you will be 100x happier than cable discs…

kinda OT but i was looking at some mongoose (sp?) stunt bikes and what not, and prices seem to have gone down a lot since i was a kid…and i didnt see any diamondbacks…those were always the big ones when i was into bikes…

$70 for a new good stunt bike though, i might get back into it…

now we are getting into my field of superb expertise… now actually you wont be getting back into any type of bmx riding besides to and from your local bodega for 70 dollars. think about it there is a reason they are that cheap and available at wal-mart. :smash2: :ham:

i just want something to have some fun on, beat on, and not worry about breaking because it didnt cost me a ton…

and it’s not really for BMX at all, just like i said for fun, and maybe to help me get in a bit of better shape, since running is out of the question, i can never run again after 3 years of track…i hate running