Help mike find a daily driver

I’m in an on going search for a new car and I figured it would help to have more eyes open for good deals as we all know pop up on forums all over the place. Here are the requirements:

option #1
AWD
2 door
240+ hp
no bad wheel bearing crap
I prefer a stock motor, I don’t want to mess with tuning/software on my daily.
example: swapped 2.5 RS

option #2
RWD
2-door
240+ hp
Unique
must have a winter mode, no body kits or crap that would make winter driving impractical
Example: R33 Gts, FD RX7

budget: 12k

open to more ideas.

How about an AP1 s2k? 240 HP stock and there’s always FI if you want more. You probably won’t find one for $12k in this area though. For some reason these cars are wicked expensive up here. Here’s an 01 w/78k on eBay for $12k:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-S2000-Excellent-Shape-Only-78k-Lip-Spoiler-Bone-Stock_W0QQitemZ130323980955QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1e57ea229b&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

As far as winter mode, I hear they can be tame in cold months if you have dedicated snows. This season will be the first with mine so I’ll report back if I’m still alive. It’s my DD. :ahh

12 E30s.

I know its just an example but find me a R33GTS for 12 grand and ill suck your peen…

Anyways theres an FD around here… only thing i dont like about it is its got a Veil side body kit that i guess has seen better days, but hes asking 9 grand for it IIRC

This would be unique
http://wad20.wantaddigest.com/dealer/classifiedads.asp?onlineid=AWEBS09&adid=A00001&adclass2=Cars&headsub=1991

Too bad your not some greying 50 something.

Id still rock it

how about a 2000 gti vr6?

Sl is alright. No s2000 as a winter car in roc I don’t want a convertable. I did find an r33 for 12k but it was auto :frowning:

Add two doors and you can have a sweet wrx

:facepalm

For 12k you could buy a GS300 and turbo or do 1JZ or 2JZ into it. You’d end up with a heavier car than what you’re probably looking for but it’d make more than 240…

I’ve also seen supercharged GS400s before (older body style) for 10k, but it would be an auto.

You could be unique and buy an Infiniti M30 and do a VQ swap or LS1 into it?

Don’t know what your feel is on older cars, but a MkII Supra (pre 86.5) is fairly light. It would be pretty quick with a 7M-GTE in it (after you do the HG, haha).

E30 w/ M50 or S50 swap, some very nice ones on BF.com but I know you have/had an E36 race car so maybe that’s played out to you… Nice E30s don’t seem to be too “common” though…

I know these are all project ideas but if you want a car “as-is” then it’s not really going to be rare. Or you could look for someone’s unfinished project for like $9 and spend a couple G making it “your own”… Probably the best compromise as far as budget / making it unique is concerned.

12k FD would seem to be a nice choice though…

big time correction factor there.

no

E30’s are a solid option. It would have to be something VERY well done though.

I found a minty looking FD in cali for 12k. If only I could give it a test drive and get it back here.

Would have to be FI than or a “simple” LS1 swap. Hardtop is cheap and more than satisfying in the winter. Less then $1K for a hardtop.

As others have said an E30 with an M swap would be fantastic, or even an E21, or :excited 2002

Lexus IS300 5spd with a 2 door delete mod :ninja

Great handling car, great motor, great design, once again would need a hard top.

Don’t look at HT as a downside, look at it as an extra benefit, increases structural integrity, can be removed to get rid of top weight, great for summer DD.

Also DSM

RNN14, or Pulsar GTiR may also fit the bill… You can keep it at 240 hp (makes 227 hp or something like that stock) and it should be reliable. AWD, 2 doors, AND unique!

Shape’s not for everyone, but hey I think they are AWESOME!!

Other AWD choice is a Galant VR4, I know it’s 4G63 and all, but keep it close to 250 hp and you shouldn’t see many issues… Less than 3000 of 'em in the US, so they’re fairly rare and WELL within your budget, nicely modded ones go for like 5-7k…

Good luck…

Does it have to be street legal?

Why not go the cop out route and just get an E36 M3?

damn that pulsar is ugly. lol

VR4 gallant problem is that its not 2 door. If I open the search to 4 it would have to compete with lots of more reliable cars.

AWD DSM is possible if reliable dsm is possible

rx7 for 12k ??? crappy add but crazy price: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824272

Hey they’re not for everyone!! haha.

Well, I’m sure you know you are pretty much limiting yourself to a couple of Subarus and/or DSMs by specifying a 2 dr AWD car at that power level. There is almost nothing else in the US market.

That FD does look nice ('cept the steering wheel haha). You could try to find one and do like a 20B N/A build or something, that would be different (and possibly a major PITA to make, but hey…)

I have no problem with the 13b tt. I am very skeptical about the car though.

and yea I figured option one was very limited, I was hoping people would be able to pick out some others (kinda like the pulsar)