Help: Outdoor Long Range WIFI

Haha did not notice that. POLE!

…and…

it is a camp site? like other campers and stuff?

get that exede service, and toss up a router/access point, charge other campers wifi fee.

I don’t mean to be a pessimist, but I used to do long/extended distance wireless installs in Rochester, and Syracuse so its one of those been there, done that things for me. but the first thing I would do is get something like netstumbler on a laptop, get a pcmcia wireless card with a dongle, and something like a small yagi or a cantenna and drive around and point and log with netstumbler, then go from there. that would be your site survey, once you know whats around you then make the next step of provisioning what you need to do and buy.

Sounds good. I can get a cantenna and take a trip around the area. I would love to charge for access but then comes the issue with getting people to pay me and them bogging down my connection watching netflix.

many of the newer routers you can have multiple SSID’s on, and you can rate limit per SSID, and invoke bandwidth limitations as well. couple that with MAC restrictions and you can recoup a few bucks, and not have it infringe on your personal bandwidth too much. - Good luck!

You can reflash a lot of routers with dd-wrt/openwrt which support QoS and captive portal configurations.

The downside with satellite is the upload is pretty horrible

This, or subnet between public and personal IP schemes.