Help Plz

Ok so my question is to you people with experience on this problem. The chain rattling due to engine wear/high km… what can be done about this problem to fix it and how much do u estimate it would cost? and can the car be driven like this without causing major damage ? Need to know asap plz :slight_smile: !!

what year is your car? and how many k’s it got?

well the reason im asking is cuz i am buying a used 240 or plan on it very shortly and that is one of the problems the car has. It is an 89 with around 220-240km on it

With the 89’s ussually the guide opposite to the tensioner breaks totally off or in two. This causes the chain to rattle against the timing cover in most cases. After a while it will eat its way through the timing cover right where the coolant passage-way is for the water pump. Next thing you know you’ve got coolant in the oil.

Just ask Maurice about it :slight_smile: We just finished replacing his engine becasue of that.

My suggestion to you, is plan on getting it fixed, or replace the engine. Both suggestions would be better done by yourself, since the cost of doing these is expensive. The swap will take you a weekend and the timing chain will take you a day.

Hope that helps,

Andrew.

is it just for a few seconds on startup? or all the time? if its just a few seconds on startup and then goes away, it should be fine for a long while to come, if its making the noise all the time, find a cheap motor, dont bother replacing your chain, its cheaper to jsut get a lower km engine, ka’s are pretty much a dime a dozen.