Help: Running RICH

We fixed the exhaust leak and all the other annoying issues my car decided to have and now its running SUPER rich. We plugged in the emanage and it is not the injectors or the management. Could it be miss firing? Spark plugs? What would all cause it to run rich on start up? It runs like crap and stalls. We havent driven it yet because we havent been able to tune it. We played with the emanage changing the injector size and nothing.

What other issues did it have ?

Does it run normal once the car warms up? I know mine runs rich on start up and misfires like a whore to the point of almost stalling, but once it warms up if runs normal.

cmon gas is cheaper now we can run a little bit rich …

:lol:

no scott some of us actually buy cars to DRIVE them not use them to get groceries on sundays after church…so they want them running corectly…

skygirl you upgraded your maf right? are you sure its wired in correctly? and youve compensated for it with your e manage?

Leaks in the intercooler pipes can cause the car to run rich… MAF=sucks.

+1 to that.

grab someone elses maf n throw it on and see what happens…and go from there!

OMG my car works!!! :E

I am soooo happy. Yes at first the maf wasnt wired right but after we fixed it it still ran like crap. I changed the plugs (they were BAD) and I started it and I have NO smoke, no noise, no stalling.

Thanks guys…

I am so HAPPY… Now if I can only find a place to tune. Seeing that Travis is on holidays. AFI said they will but I dont know when…

its always nice to see quick ez fix like that!

But…

My power steering is making awful noises since the swap. So I filled it up but it didnt stop so it looks like I might need a new pump. If anyone has one or knows someone with one please pm me.

road trip to Calgary… AutoDream :smiley:

I love my car… While my car was running I opened the power steering tank and I watched it go empty (after I put a full bottle in) so I decided to try and put another one in and as I was filling it up the noise was going away. So now my car is fixed only needs a tune. I hope nothing else happens from now till then. 8)

Z32 MAF=Usually wired incorrectly. Do you have one of the grounds wired to the Chassis?? Trust me check it.

A) Blank
B) 0-5 Volt Signal (white)
C) Chassis Ground (orange on mine)
D) Harness Ground (black)
E) Battery Positive Power (black/white)
F) Blank

no scott some of us actually buy cars to DRIVE them not use them to get groceries on sundays after church…so they want them running corectly…

skygirl you upgraded your maf right? are you sure its wired in correctly? and youve compensated for it with your e manage?[/quote]

hahaha glad you didnt take that comment the wrong way or else you would have looked like a jerk or something

HAHAHA well done scott, you know we all love you :thereboy

Ugh my car is a giant headache. Travis tried to tune it today but both my stock maf and my new z32 maf ended up being screwed up so I took the maf off my husbands 300zx and my car still wouldnt give proper air/fuel readings so after 6 hours and Travis missing his plane we figured out the O2 sensor is also gone. Not only that my new clutch is horrible!!! :vom: Its super short, super stiff and when it hooks it hooks giving you minor whiplash I could barely get out of the UC parking lot. lol And on my original motor I had a small valve sound and damn I have it again!! I was so happy to get a new motor cause that sound would be gone but nope its back… And my release bearing is making an awful sound when the clutch is in!!! Ugh my crazy car is a little backwards in everything!! :rolleyes: Other than that the car is almost great!! LOL

What was you plug gap set at? I had the exact same problem in my skyline. Naturally turbo cars runn rich. And i found with the smaller plug gapo the plugs fouled up easier. and once the got gummed up the car ran really rich… it seems to be a common thing in rb’s… The quickest and most versatile solution is an air/fuel controller. These way you can control it and have the versatility to change settings as you modify. Another thing to keep in mind is that in japan they usually advance the timing for more power. Because of the higher octane its not an issue to them but here it can create a sluggish car. I changed everything from coils, plugs, maf, new engine grounds, new injectors, fuel filter, retard timing, change fuel pressure regulator, fix all boost leaks, and the car still ran rich. And if your car is a 5spd it will run richer than an auto… just some fyi… pm me if you need any help i’ve been through all that sh**.

Ty I will. So far I changed spark plugs twice (they were screwed after the motor blew), fuel pump, injectors, maf, fixed all the boost leaks and retarded the timing. Right now it is running lean due to the O2 sensor so when I fix that if I am still running rich I will pm you for help. Also someone told me they read that the rings wash out really easy on the RB20 have you heard that before?