Help Settle an Argument.

OK here go’s. I will make it short.
If you were to barrow a friends car and get pulled over and the officer asks to search the vehicle.
A. You have the right to allow or refuse this and only you.
B. The registerd owner has the right and only him/her.
C. You have the right and if you refuse the officer can get consent from the registered owner.

so the friend isn’t with you right

right, and hasn’t seen the car in lets say a year.

how much drugs did you have on you?

owner can only give consent after your ass has been arrested, lol

Nothing in the car, they just want to search, and for some reason you were to say no.
And this whole argument is dumb. I just want to prove someone wrong how told me he is 3/4 the way done with law school.

im pretty sure if a cop pulls you over he is allowed to search anything in plain view no matter who owns the car.

thats why you keep the good shit in the trunk :slight_smile:

C

but im no lawyer. i would trust your friend who is studying to become a lawyer though. what is logical is not always right by law.

not without a warrent. The only time they are allowed to search a car without permission or a warrent is if they have reasonable cause or something. Like if they see a glock on your dash or you stink of weed. They can’t just search for no reason.

+1. But if they really suspect you have drugs (like you’re acting all nervous, refusing a search, in a car that isn’t yours), they can make you sit there until the K9 comes and sniffs around your car. If the dog alerts then they can call a judge for a warrant and make you sit there the entire time. Pretty much any judge in the world will sign a search warrant once a drug dog has alerted.

Back on point though, I’m going with C.

Police do it all the time with apartments. Two people live together, person A is a criminal, person B isn’t. Both people have the right to grant consent to search, at least in the “common areas”. If person A has a pound of cocaine on the coffee table, and the cops show up saying person B is allowing them in the apartment, person A is fucked.

Honestly they can do whatever they want you refusing to let them search a car…then you acting the least bit shady can allow them to claim they has reasonable suspicion…

C- they ask you to search. you can simply say no. your car or not. that’s a fact

C.

Not true. The simple act of refusing a search will NEVER meet the requirement for probable cause. It will piss the cop off, and expect to get every equipment violation he can think of, but unless he can find something besides your refusal he will never get a search warrant.

Or you could pull a Choda

Cop: Do you mind if we search your car?
Choda: looks at me, looks at cop, looks at me, looks at cop “uhhhhhhhh (4 second pause) no”
Cop: Takes Choda behind his car and askes him if he has anything while other cop asks me questions.

It was definatly funny as hell. Meanwhile Jack is standing 50 feet away with his car pissing coolant everywhere. Ahhh…good times :lol:

Since its not your car, I said its not your choice.