Help taming the "BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP".

Recently installed a new Borla Type S exhaust system. I drove the Mustang (2TurboZ’s) that I bought from him all of last summer and had one glaring want for the new season…to eliminate the BRAAAAAAAAAAAP of the exhaust when reaching around 4K rpm’s. Came to me with an SLP Loudmouth dual exhaust, and it lived up to it’s name. I decided to pull the trigger on the Borla after endless youtube vids of various manufacturers. I almost went with the SSS system as it had good reviews and the price was hard to beat. Long and short of it, the distributor I contacted said the SSS wouldn’t be in for 30-45 days as they get to him in a container (obviously made by Shen Yun). Narrowed down to Flowmaster and Borla and with Summits next day shipping (every time but this time) I decided I liked the Borla and it was only $20.00 more.

Installed a couple nights ago. Good fitment overall with just some minor struggling with the pan hard bar around the axle bend. The tube length actually worked out better than I thought as the OEM pipes had the flanges cut off when they installed the SLP’s. A couple trips to Advanced and Auto Zone and I had all the correct sleeves / reducers / clamps I needed. Sounds very much like the SLP’s from start up to low rpm’s. I drove it to work today in hopes to be able to open it up a little. The BRAAAAAAP is still there.

This is the question I think I know the answer to. Unless I’m mistaken, the stock setup was H pipe after the cats. Cats are gone and H pipe remains. I’m guessing they deleted the cats when they installed the twin turbo setup. I did a little youtubing and it’s obvious that H vs. X pipe has an affect on the tone…but will it eliminate this sound issue? If anyone has any experience with this, I’d appreciate it. Don’t think I can live with it all summer.

SLP system before I took it out:

Tight corner I was talking about:

This is definitely a question for @BREETIME

I’m not really sure what you’re asking but with out cats and those tiny bullets X vs H isn’t going to change the sound a whole lot.

If you’re looking to mellow it out a 2nd set of bullet mufflers like moroso spiral flows will do a lot.

Confused if your saying its to loud or its raspy into higher rpms.

I’m sorry. It’s loud but it has a raspy tone that changes from a nice exhaust note to an annoying one at high rpm.

Its H vs X vs Catted vs Non

x pipe vs h pipe won’t matter much but having cats and resonators makes a huge difference as far as being raspy. If you are worried about the raspyness I would install a resonator/glasspack in each side ahead of the muffler. It’ll def tame the rasp and won’t change flow.

Love the spiral flows x2

catless will do that. My viper has a pretty unique (and by unique, I mean shitty) sound between 3 and 4k. Sounds great above and below that range.

Still haven’t gotten a ride in this thing yet…

Anytime you like. You know that.

IF I have room to add these in, I would have to assume the “rasp / braaap” would go away but my overall exhaust note would likely change as well…with no way to predict what that result might be?

Mac Prochamber should help that out…it worked for me.

Thanks shifty for the suggestion. I looked at these and beyond the obvious added cost, I don’t think they’ll work with my less than standard exhaust piping from the turbo installation. The normal piping and flanges were cut off right where the headers would connect to the H pipe and connected with a semi flexible pipe / clamp setup from the turbo’s. I didn’t have these same flanges to connect my Borla to with either but the sleeves and clamps I got were able to make it work and luckily the lengths of all the piping were almost perfect. I think there’d be a shit ton of swearing and either custom tube welding or 30-40lbs. of sleeves and clamps to make it work. I might still explore the Moroso spirals, if I have room left somewhere. I guess I can always turn up the radio and live with it too. Damn Fords.

These were pics from American Muscle (provided by purchasers) of the setup installed by others. You can see in my pics the huge difference in the setups.

https://acdn.americanmuscle.com/i/thumb/20131003195555_7294.jpg

This was the OEM setup.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac45/bw232/exhaust.gif

Guess the options are deal with it or maybe install high flow cats.