help with 97 buick skylark

not sure if this is in the right section but here we go. My mom has a 97 buick skylark v6. The car is leaking and or burning a decent amount of coolant and its been looked at by a few shops and according to them its the intake manifold gasket.Which is a common problem with buicks.I would fix the problem my self but ive never touched a v6 or a buick for that matter and just dont have the time with work and school.She just doesnt trust me with her car, and i dont either. So has anyone on here ever done it before??Ive heard its a little bit tricky, but do able. The shop wanted a ridiculous amount of money to do it because she takes it to these scumbags ( karychezks) sorry if anyone on here knows them but the rip people off terribly there , i kno from my own vehicles and personal experiences.

So to make a long story short if anyone on here would be willing to fix it for her, and has a price in mind please post up or pm me and let me know how much youd want.

thanks,
mike

anyone?

Yeah done a few of those in my day. Just wondering what you consider ridiculous?

Because I know a good gasket set is ~$100 and labor time is 5.6 hours and most shop’s labor rate is $65 per hour. I would put that job around $475-$500 plus tax at most shops

if its a 3800 Ill do it

Get a book and learn how to do it. Take your time, and follow every step. It’s about as straight forward as a repair job can get. You have a ton of posts, spend less time typing and more time learning :spank: Or, just take it in and expect to pay like J&J posted.

yes i believe it is how much would you want

i explained this in the first post.Im in school and work full time, i do not have the time to dick around with this car , i know nothing about.My dsm takes up any spare time i have.Thus the reason why im asking someone else if theyd be willing to do it.

Buick Skylark of that year never came with the 3800 engine, it was either the 2.4 liter or the 3100 v6 (which are the ones known for coolant leaks)

i know my cousisn work just did one of these about a week ago,

athol motor car
                 184 reading st
                 buffalo ny 14220 
                 824-2276

yea its the 3100 v6 then

pretty easy job just wath the injector o rings. they like to fall off the injectors.

I replaced the ones on my beretta twice do to racing it. and replace them on my grandfathers corsica, and on a friends malibu.

Its not fun and a lot of work. Especially since this would be your first time…it would take you a good 4-6hours easy. You would be better off letting someone capable do it. Also, the price J&J gave is about average if not a bit cheaper.

It is not that hard, a lot of nuts and bolts and if your doing the intake gaskets, just bite the bullet and do the head gaskets. When you get down that far into the motor there is no point to cheap out.

John if you want to do it I will go partners in on it since I have done them before. I have also swapped these engines, just swapping the sub frames is the easiest way. I also have a friend who does these cars all the time and is quick.

Not a hard job, goo backyard mechanic can mess with it and not screw it up horribly. The 3100 is pretty idiot proof, no valve lash and such.

Also dont run it long like that, you win spin a bearing really quick with those engines. Dont chance it and have it done.

:confused: PLEASE tell me you are joking about doing the head gaskets also??

send me a pm if ya need a mechanic, i send all of my failed inspections there, few examples of work hes done for my customers (hes a family frend)

did my buddies water pump in his 98 cherokee 4.0 L parts and labor =150$

dont matter if ya got a semi or a bicycle, solid charge of 25 bux labor per tire for brakes, avg cost of a repair ive sent down 115$ pad n rotors

tie rods hes done for about 50 bux a side, alignment free

lmk if youre interested or neone for that matter

studderin-

Ive done 3100s, its not fun. You should have a repair machinic do it, 3800 I know so well its worth it for me.

Mine as well have have rings and bearings replaced …no sense in pussin’ out after doing the head gaskets…:gotme::rofl:

I’ve never ever heard that one before…thats a first…funny too. No sense cheaping out…pull those heads for shits n giggles.

Done it before, my buddy had an achieva with 188K on it, we were not sure if it was intake or head gaskets leaking. When we got down to it the intake gaskets were clearly blown but at that point with that kind of miles I think you are dumb to not pull the heads. You have done 85% of the work might as well finish it off. How someone cant understand the logic on that is beyond me. Our thought was what if it was not only the intake gaskets but perhaps an external HG leak starting, none the less it takes a few extra steps but not much.

Do you guys really think the 3100 is that bad? We did it pretty quick, straight forward, no messing with timing or anything, no OHC, no problem. The biggest bitch was the alt bracket I think it was, had to pull the engine mount to fish it out. Once the intake gaskets, it is like 8 head bolts on each head, take the crossover pipe off (3 10mm bolts on both ends) and pull the manifolds with the heads. Really not bad at all.

Chris

thanks for all the info guys but J&J gave her a decent price so i guess hell be doing it.And for all the people saying i should just do it and do the headgaskets as well.Its not my car and i DO NOT HAVE THE TIME BEING IN SCHOOL AND WORK FULL TIME. But once again thanks for all the help