Help with a TDi electrical mod. help!

heres the thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=12165&page=21

Basically it’s tricking the injector pump into dumping more fuel into the motor.

the thing is, i’m terrible with electronics…
Anyone ever do this mod, or atleast help me by reading through this quick and giving me a DUMMY do it myself instructions.

If someone gave me good instructions i’ll easily be able to do it, I’m just having a hard time understanding theirs.

How-to:

1. Bridge pins 2 & 3 on the 10-pin fuel harness with a 1.5K pot. Set pot to max resistance.

2. Start car

3. SLOWLY decrease resistance from 1.5K

4. When the engine shivers (you will know, its very obious) the mod is starting to work.

5. When at around 1.2K, drive around… you will be impressed

6. Go down to 1K ohms, drive around… you will be MORE impressed

it doesn’t really get any easier

I don’t know wtf a ‘1.5k pot’ is, but it sounds like it is just an adjustable resistor that will trick the ecu into dumping fuel.

ugh i’m going to sound really dumb,

so I disconect the harness from the pump, run a wire from pin 2…to what…and what?
then connect to pin 3?

found this on another fourm:

Its a real simple mod. Just go to your local electronics supply house (Radio Shack here in the States) and get yourself a switch and a 2kohm potentiometer. Wire the switch and the pot in series across pins #2 &#3 of the 10 pin connector connected to the fuel pump. If you pull the engine cover its right in front of the motor, just look down and you’ll see the connector.

Once you wire it in, set it at about 1.5k (75%) and crank the motor. Adjust it down until the motor’s idle changes then bump it back up a hair. Mine was perfect at about 1.2k. Take her out for a spin and you should see ALOT more power. If you get a blinking glow plug light and a MIL, you need to bump it up some clear the code and restart the car.

Give it a try. goodjob.gif

see attachment

That is what the directions sound like to me

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/boardjnky4/illustration.jpg

Get a chip. Don’t do this shit.

This is a shitty mod. Just get a reflash from KermaTDi or RocketChip tuning. Yeah, I know: “But that costs’ alot of money and I don’t really wanna spend that kind of money on my daily, blah blah blah”. Well, you’ll be happier in the long run. Trust me. These shitbag diy mods get you really, nothing.

i did this mod when i first got my tdi. it was ok i guess. i mean you can def feel it over stock but overall you will be much happier with a chip (in which case you need to remove this mod)

is rocket chip the way to go?

from what i hear rocket chip is the way to go. i had an upsolute chip in my car cause i couldnt beat the price, i was happy overall but there were some kinks i would have liked to had worked out.

pp520 nozzles from kerma + rocket chip and you will enjoy.

then later you will want to do a vnt17, straight pipe exhaust, ported intake, fmic, and certainly get new intake piping and throw that plastic pancake pipe right in teh trash

you forgot to mention a new clutch :wink:

Should I get rid of the catted DP before I get a rocket chip reflash?

hahah yea you may need to get a new clutch. i had a 99.5 which still had a vr6 clutch in it so i never had any problems with slipping.

as for the downpipes you will be fine getting a chip with your cats. plus i think rocketchip will reflash you if you change/upgrade your mods.

The Kerma/Alligator tooning is where it’s at now. I’m going to be picking up one of these tunes pretty soon, along with some smaller PowerPlus 520 nozzles. If anyone wants a RocketChip stage4 ecu and some Race520’s, let me know.

hmm, I may have a new job lined up in the next week or so, If I get it, I’ll def be contacting you about these.

:slight_smile:

lol at this thread. Diesel guys are all the same no matter what we drive apparently.
I damn near doubled the rear wheel power of my Cummins AND picked up 4 MPG at the same time.
How do the TDI VW’s respond?

Edit: By the way, a 1.5K pot is a 1500 Ohm variable resistor. You can get them at radio shack for a couple bucks if you decide to go that route.

I made 185whp and something like 320?ft/lbs on Mikes DynoJet back in the day. I get like 600+miles per tank.