TDI tinkering

So, a friends mk4 jetta TDI is running like dog sh!t! It sputters at an idle real bad, not spooling up etc. haha Around the EGR and PCV, well pretty much everywhere its oily and gross. All the vac lines, the nylon around them are lookin pretty beat up. It also has a coolant leak around the coolant tube on the front of the block. That’s the next thing to sort out.

Here is a few pics as I started getting in to it.

I didnt really take many from the start. The first thing I did was remove the injectors to have them tested. I brought them to D&W on Broadway. While removing them, my awesome Harbor Freight line wrench snaps off and I smash my arm on the hood latch haha.

I get a call about the injectors a couple days later. 3 are popping at like 200/210 BAR (spec is 220) and the other is bad/bad spray pattern. Of course its the 3rd injector with the sensor on it… We still gotta order the inj.

Then I started removing air box, EGR etc. It needs a air filter for sure. Here is what I found!

Intake mani

EGR

Cleaning EGR

The other day Nick (focusinprogress) came over to kick it. We removed the IM, turbo piping etc and started cleaning some more.

This is as clean as we the IM the other day. I cleaned it a bit more today (no pic)

Saturday the first shipment of parts showed up. Air filter, oil filter, IM gasket, injector crush washers, PCV and vac/fuel line kit. Ordered that stuff from Bora.

Today I changed out the vac lines. Here is the injectors with the new line

Of course the kit shafted me on enough of the big line to the EGR…

That’s all I have done for now. It should prolly be Seafoamed afterwards. Inside the head is prolly just as bad as the rest. Gotta order the inj tonight. Oh the turbo does spin free. uhhmm I can’t think of anything else right now. This is just the beginning of it haha. Any VW’ers wanna chime in, it would be greatly appreciated!

Woah that’s some crap in there.

ohhh yeaaa, the cluster is lit up l like a x-mas tree. ABS, brake, seat belt, check light. We got the ABS sensor to replace that eventually. Who’s got VAG-COM to hook this up after to check out the rest of the lights?

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

I couldn’t believe it myself!

yeah, this thing was BAD. it blew my mind. No pics of our make-shift hose at 10pm at your new place? lol

Here is our make-shift hose haha. Just moved in the the new house last week, and realized late that I didn’t have a hose hahaha! Made up of upper radiator hose from an EG civic, part of a broken guitar stand, electrical tape and some hose clamps haha

That hose rules!! You’re a good man to do this nick, these pics are crazy!

Reminds me of this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4440617959_1efa9bf05c.jpg
http://c69282.r82.cf3.rackcdn.com/coffee_13.jpg

me and nick were digging thru the house/garage trying to find anything to use to rinse out the IM haha. its still hooked up too haha! thanks for the compliment lil buddy :slight_smile:

Lmk if you need any all data info or the hook up of it like you asked a while ago

Nope, dl’ed the bently manual and I have the haynes manual

That could tie with the worst gunk I’ve ever seen, I wish I had pics but the worst I’ve ever experienced, an intake manifold in a nissan pathfinder, literally using a spoon and scooping soot and carbon out of the ports. That things gonna run like a new car.

Ok just wanted to offer, hope you get it all sorted out and in tip top shape! I kno you will :tup:

that is why you delete the EGR as soon as you buy a diesel car or any DI car for that matter

This is common on TDIs, diesels tend to have a lot more soot than a gasser

:tup:

Nice work, hope my shit doesn’t look like that soon. Lol

to keep that from happening again I can shut it off with vag-com, boost is going to be the acuator or maf. and that intake isnt that bad. I have some at my house that you couldnt put a pen in.

Dieselgeek sells a egr block off kit. It’s like $40, just deleting the egr will throw a check light unless the egr functionality is turned off by chip tuning. They also sell a egr cooler delete kit for like $40 as well. It’s cheaper to just clean it. But its always an option.

you can shut off EGR with vag-com. I have it deleted on my car no chip, no cel.

Ah ic. Well deleting the egr is not the main thing right now. Plus its not my car. For now the plan is get the new injector, I already changed the vac lines, and cleaned out the carbon build up. Fix the coolant leak, change fluids/filters and see how she runs. I do want to hook the car up to check out the rest of the lights on the dash