for the guys that know there shit... help

i’m new to the game of adding performance parts where they don’t belong…

so my question to you guys is about me turboing my 2.0 FS-ZE probe…

i pulled off the stock exhaust manifold today to fit the turbo manifold so that i can have the flange welded on in the exact right place and found out 2 things:

1.) i need to find a dual slimline fan so my big ass stock one will get out of the turbo’s way

2.) there was a (i think) copper pipe that went into my exhaust manifold (picture will be at bottom, attached to post). i have no idea what it is, or if i need to find some way to keep that operational or not… might be EGR something. only problem is i have no idea where it goes. i can see what it goes into but i’m not sure what that is coz it’s buried deep under the intake manifold. i will include a picture of that as well.

everything from the engine block to the back of the car is custom done because these parts aren’t mass produced due to lack of idiots like me doing the project. the downpipe that will connect to the O2 housing has yet to be made, do you think maybe i should try to have it put into that somehow by extending it? or just cut it off? or what? cause i’m completely lost on what to do with the damn thing.

other than that the bitch should slide right into place… i can’t even get the bastard fitted to tack weld it for the permenent weld w/o getting that fucking pipe outta my way. HELP :doh:

oh, and the custom mani is already made and in hand so putting it directly into that isn’t an option.

here’s the pictures of it and descriptions of what is in the numbered pics:
1: one end of tube that was in exhaust manifold
2: tube running along right side of engine
3: showing where it goes in, under intake manifold
4: shows the hole in the manifold where it used to be

ok this is the question part of your post and im not totally understanding you…

but that little tube is gonna have somehting to do with your emmisions systems (obviously) if t where me and i knew i was gonna have to at one point in time pass an emissions inspetion i would get the tube into you new manifold which really shouldnt be that hard

as for the fan try a black magic fan from summit they are really compact and move a ton of air

i’ll be back in a minute with better pictures…

kyle…

picture number 5 is the O2 housing for the turbo… it bolts to the side of the turbo (as shown) and is the elbow the bends down to connect to the downpipe that would lead to the catalytic converter… if i had one

my point was that maybe, since i haven’t had the downpipe made yet that i could have it put into that instead. it really isn’t a option to put it in the turbo manifold coz it’s pretty small and i don’t really see that working… there is a picture of the manifold w/o the flange on it yet as picture number 6.

but what i’m really hoping for here is that i don’t need it, or have a way of not having to use it due to the fact that i have no idea how i’d even start to extend a copper tube another 2 feet :frowning:

i dont forsee a problem of having it put into the DP as for extending the copper tube try places like hampton hardware for the tubing just get like water line and use some compression fittings to put them together

also on a side note have a bung welded into you DP for the use of a wideband O2 sensor for tunning your fuel when your done or the addition of a EGT guage latter one i was gonna have a bung put into my DP before i installed it but got in a rush and never did it now im regretting not doing it

just have one put in and use a bolt to plug it for now if your not gonna run a EGT guage

point brought up to me by slowmaro…

things to mention:

it is OBD2
Mazda FS-ZE 2.0 DOHC
Greddy T25

obd2 = never pass inspection…

he is right jay you might as well give up now i thought your car was a 95 and you could get away with it but since its a 96 your fucked

yup… shit i will barely pass(if at all???) and i’m stock turbo / stock fuel :hs:

hehe i passed not stock boost not stock fuel no airpump no EGR one hollow cat and one missing cat no air control valve

but mines an 87

so your point is???

:finger:

seriously…? there is NO WAY i can make it pass inspection with a turbo on it?

coz i’ve seriously already bought everything needed but the fuel pump and injectors… so i’m gonna be a bit upset. esp. since the manifold is custom made and i can’t exactly just send it back

hey man… only time will tell… i’ll be getting inspected in 2 months… but it’s terrible out there… maybe you should clean up on your obdii scanning/ clearing… because any CEL will cause an immediate fail… so no cat = no go / no egr = no go … secondary air injection / lambda all that jazz has to be perfectly OEM… :sad:

http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3291

thanks brian :cool: i may have to give em a call and make sure that with those conditions it’ll pass, coz i’m pretty deep into the project and idk if i feel like bailing on it

I dont really think that you will have a check engine light…only maybe for the new MAF/MAP readings :dunno:

That tube is definily the EGR return that supplies the valve with the exhaust gas that it puts back into the motor. I would recommend putting it back into the manifold if at all possible b/c if it was in the downpipe, it would have more velocity behind it from the turbo. If you start pushing exhaust up to the EGR, you could risk burning the gasket or the EGR seat.

I get all my emmisions done at wolf’s automotive on 910. He treats me pretty good and will help you out if you got some special setup. I still dont know about the obdII testing procedures fully yet…maybe if you went and talked to him or someone they could let you know first hand if it would pass. …I still think it will.

the new emission program just checks to see if there is DTC’s and has gone through a drive cycle. if no DTC’s and good cycle your good to go… Jay if you need help with getting a sticker let me know i can get one for you.

you go to wolf’s…? where u live that’s pretty close to me?

it’ll be a while before i have to cross that bridge… but if i’m never gonna pass i’m not even gonna do the project. i’ll talk to ya on AIM next time ur on.

oh man i have no respect at all for wolfs i took 2 different cars there for 2 different things the half assed both fixes and just seem to have that west deer retardedness about them