Exhaust problem...

so s13 90 ka24de, the pipe on the back of the exhaust manifold(near the firewall) has broken off causing a horrible sound. from what i’ve read, this pipe run to the egr?

now attempts to reattach said pipe have failed, so my question is. if i plug the hole(high heat epoxy resin on a wire mesh, then wrapped with exhaust heat wrap).

will this effect the cars performance/reliability in a negative aspect? also will it make it harder to pass the etest? do i still have to do another etest anyway?(just did one in may)

thanks in advance

It may/may not work,… it’s one of these 50/50 things. If it came to me, I’d call the pipe and be done with it, the right way. Other reason I would not compromise with that is it’s location…wont be hard for the carbon monoxide to find it’s way into the cabin.

i dont understand

not worried about the CM, ive been drivin it like this for months now(gutted interior, no inner fenders, lots of air flow inside my car)

In other words, mickey moused repairs get mickey moused results. My Neon is a PRIME example of that. If you were to repair it this way, there is a very chance a peice of that resin may find it’s way into the EGR Valve…then poof, now you need one of those too (about 176.80 from Nissan) whereas the tube is only 77.35 (dealer). As for emissions, the turbulent surface of the epoxy will accumulate carbon deposits over time, and compromise the functionality of the EGR system. As for the reliability question, no. Put it this way, If it were I customer’s car…I would call the EGR tube…because I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that it would be reliable.

I was a tech for 6 years (moving on to truck and coach), that is my opinion. In the end, you will do what you do…and either way, good luck!

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/264997

i passed emissions with the egr blocked off

i completely understand what your saying and i completely agree with you being a powersports technician myself.

but you misunderstood what i said, i cannot replace the egr tube because the threaded fitting that secures it to the manifold is siezed. so i was going to block off the hole on the manifold thus not having a functioning egr.

will i still be able to pass the etest if need be without an egr?

I removed the EGR system on my 83 corolla it actually ran better, ive heard of higher comb temps, as far as etest i dont know if it will pass.

Ahh, my bad. Even if you kissed it with a torch? have you tried the wax method?

already tried a torch, dont know the wax method

corps if your sticker expired go get one for next 2 years now so you dont have to worry about it for next 2 years :smiley: you can find out of your emission is good or not by going on driveclean.ca by typing in a vin.

1. remove egr on exhaust side

2. weld the hole shut with some sheet metal

3. block off intake side of egr at the back of intake mani by welding that hole shut

4. remove charcoal canister while you’re at it (optional)

5. find a tech that will only run a 2-speed idle e-test for you and be sure to buy a couple of additives beforehand. you should be able to pass.

6. or drop in another motor (which is what it seems like you’re doing from the other thread)

or cause 2 speed idle is only for awd cars and it could look fucked up. i got canned because i did a 2 speed idle on a guys talon that failed b4 and it was a fwd not awd. some one elses car isnt worth getting canned over. so what u say is you have a different motor in your car and they will class your car as a hot rod and it will pass.
bottom line is you can just block your egr and you will be fine if your motor isnt a p.o.s. if it does fail then take the plate off and weld the egr pipe into the manifold and be done with it.

plug it

pipe is some pos thin tin, and the mani is thick iron or some rusty ass steel, welding wont end well

lol JB WELD TO THE RESCUE!! …

Old lady-“I put that shit on everything!”

Just drop in the SR your asking about in the other thread and be done with it :slight_smile:

that was my first idea, but thats a big hole, and i didnt know if it would hold up to the heat

im not droppinm that in till spring, just wanna de ghetto my ride till then

oh lol, then i would see if you can plug it until then?