help with vista install

I bought 2 copies of Windows VIsta Home Premium upgrade of a guy on craigslist today. HOwever, i cant get either to load. According to my computer the cd’s are blank, sorta. My computer dosent even recognize a disc in the drive. They look real, i guess. Both cases still have the COA labels on them still. I have the product keys.

Is it possible that these dvd’s are defective or did i just get ripped off? Does any1 have a copy of vista premium upgrade that i can borrow? I want to see if the product keys are legit.

What interface are your cd drives? I had this problem with my 680i. I then got a couple sata dvd drives (after the ide drives didnt work) and everything loaded just fine.

if u got the key i got a cd that will work.

Waste of money, keep XP.

ZING!

find someone that goes to the University at Buffalo. They have Vista Ultimate for 14.95 and Vista Business for 8.95…

So find someone that goes to the university and snag an upgrade copy for you for that cost at UBMicro

IT is ide. I just put this computer together over the weekend. The DVD drive is out of my old computer. It is a HP dvd 840b burner. It read my windows xp disc but it dosent even recognize the vista dvd. What can be the problem? Does it sound like a drive problem or a motherboard problem?

Im thinking of putting this computer on ebay. I think it would fetch more money if it had a genuine copy of vista premium on it compared to my bootleg xp home.

Well what model is your mainboard? Look around google too, as its a known problem for certain mainboards, vista dvd’s and ide drives. My problem was cured by simply buying an el cheapo sata drive. Once I knew it worked i just ditched my ide interface drives and picked up to 2 good sata drives. Where do you live? Id let you borrow one of my sata drives if needed. Youd have to leave some…$45 collateral tho.

link to something? I’m actually curious to see where the conflict is

here is a HOW TO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

Finding a link on the subject isnt easy actually. I remember posting this on evga forums, when i had that issue, and that was the answer I received and sure enough, it worked in solving the problem (ditching ide drive and gettitng a sata drive). Give me a bit more time to find something. Ill edit this post later if i find something. Im still waiting to hear from the poster on what the exact model mainboard is. Might help narrow the search.

the motherboard is a pcchips p25g(v1.0a). i know its not the greatest board but i wanted something that worked with the memory i had laying around. i also had a 2.8 ghz celeron chip that fit right in so the board seeed perfect for me

the only explanation i can think of…is that you dont ACTUALLY have a DVD drive. cd rom drives see nothing when a DVD is in there.

Wed like to give him the benefit of the doubt that hes not a total moron. haha

Thanx!!! But it is a dvd writable/cd-rw drive. Model hp-DVD840

Ok, problem solved. I put in a different dvd drive and it booted right up.

Just because im curious… was your new dvd drive and ide?

ya its ide. its actually not new at all. its al old school dvd drive that was manafactured back in 2003. i yanked it out of my old dead computer.

Do you know if UBMicro has Vista Ultimate 64-Bit? Someone also told me that they think they only have Vista 32-bit and that the disc/key is only good for one install.