Hey nerds: Wireless router question ITT

The new crib has only a road runner modem, no router, and the wireless I pick up is weak and only in my bedroom. Great for fapping, not so great if I want to go take a shit with my laptop.

Is there any special kind of router I should get, would be simply for a home network.

I have $35 in my paypal, I refuse to spend more. Including shipping.

Could someone just link me the best option for me out of these? NIB preferred for obvious reasons.

http://computers.search.ebay.com/wireless-router_Routers-Access-Points_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300QQsacatZ44995

Thanks guys.

PS: nerds is meant in a respecting and lovable way.

Some have better range than others. I find the placement of it within your house makes a big difference. You could look into a repeater.

A whatnow?

We don’t have a wireless router yet, I steal from the neighbors.

Just pick any LinkSys/DLINK. My post was suggesting if a router alone gives you problems.

If you can wait a few months, I’ll sell you mine cheap :slight_smile:

I just REALLY don’t want to just ‘pick one’ and have to wade through a bunch of bullshit to set it up.

Just bid on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-Link-wireless-router-model-number-WBR-1310-NIB_W0QQitemZ120278928293QQihZ002QQcategoryZ44997QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thoughts?

I got a cheap Belkin. It never gave me a problem anywhere in my house / out in the yard or anything.

Yard? :wtf

It can be complex but I’d just connect your RJ45 into it and plug the wireless into the wall and then use your PC’s browser to log into the wireless router and set the wep key. Then, configure your wireless card to use that wireless router/pwd and you are done.

Do some weed before hand so you are at 100% capability.

I do like weed.

:lol

I would take it outside sometimes…

I’m not one to judge. I’ve taken my laptop to some pretty precarious places trying to get a wireless signal. :rofl

it’s a bit disturbing that you have a laptop, but are resisting spending a very small amount of cash on getting your own wireless signal.

Benny, I didn’t take it outside to GET a signal. What I was saying was my cheap Belkin even got me a signal when I was outside. I took it outside to practice guitar 'cause my parents kicked me out of the house with it for making a racket.

I’ve setup my wireless network like 2139821 times because my family likes to reset it when they think they know what they’re doing. I have a Linksys WRT54G. I’ve had it almost three years next month and it’s never given me any issues. I think I paid $50 when I got it from Best Buy.

Laptop was a bargain too, $250 for a Dell Lat D610 with all the options? pssshhhhh

I’m cheap, suck yourself.

Linksys wireless router will do the job just fine. If you can’t figure out how to hook that up then you don’t belong near a computer.

I can hook it up fine, I just didn’t know about all this new 54mpbs wireless-n 802.11g/b crap.

At the end of the day, the only thing thats truly important, the only one thing that really matters is whether or not you can post and shit simultaneously.

i bought mine very cheap. i look at www.dealstobuy.com daily and they have nice ones pretty often. give that a go for a week