Hey Newman - and anyone else that has bought an internet car...

Pretty sure I have a buyer and am looking for a new car lately, never dealt with a dealer over the intrawebnets. Any tips as far as dealing with them, negotiating and handling the deal in general? Phone work better than email? Etc.

:snky:

don’t use paypal

I bought my truck from a dealer in Detroit. I was lucky and had a friend who lived out there though so I had him check the truck out in person before I even talked to the dealer.

I spoke with the dealer and gave him a $500 deposit on my credit card over the phone to hold the car till the weekend. We agreed that if the car was not as advertised or I found some hidden defects that I would get the $500 back.

bhone all the way. email sucks for alot of shit, once you get everything settled on, then have them email it to you as a hard record.

cash or wire transfer for payment, then you dont have to worry about getting boned. I did most of the negotiations through email and AIM. Only talked to the guy once or twice before i drove out to NJ to check out the car and buy it.

I bought my SHO out of Philly on Ebay. Before I placed the bid I had emailed them a bit, but did most of the coversing over the phone. It was a high end used car dealership and they had no problem with me not paying for the car until I saw it in person. Drove down with a certified check, looked the car over, drove it, everything checked out, paid for it and drove home. Was suprisingly a very smooth transaction.

The car is pretty much brand new, how do I negotiate price over teh phonage?

I always negotiate price by telling them exactly what I am willing to do. Figure out a payment you want to make at the interest rate you can get. Then tell them what you are willing to put down. If they want to deal they will try to get you to your monthly payment. Of course you always have to build in some discount to that number. Just make the dealer work backwards from that.

you can negotiate over the phoen with research on similar cars in other areas…

but u cant get a good price till you are there and can actualyl leave…

dont tell them ur full situation, because then they will know they have u by the balls and wont deal with you as much

you aren’t going to have many arguing points… if you know you want it you should go in there and remain annonymous… let them think you are local, then you can use the “get up to leave” trick. that thing works great…

Not at West-Herr Subaru, then again I didn’t want to take something out of stock either

Hrm, tempting, but would be a pain in the arse to drive 200 miles and have the car sell that morning.

It does have some minor scratches on the rear bumper, but it looks like something I could buff out, and at least use as a bargaining chip.

you will probably get a much better deal in person… that’s all i am saying.

Originally I had planned on calling and finding out about it, then getting into it being a bit farther than I wanted to go, but for the right price, blah blah blah. If I could get them to take off a fwe grand I’d be on it like white on rice.

Is this a dealer or private sale?

When I got my Probe GT, it was over the internet from a dealer, and things went without a hitch. This particular dealer took pics of everything I wanted and emailed them, I talked to them over the phone, and then drove their (Ohio) to basically pick up the car. It is the ONLY good experience I’ve ever had with Satan. I guess there is always an anomoly.

Dealer. I’ve delt with plenty of privates before, just never a adealer.