Car Buying WTF Experiences

Might be an interesting thread topic that i just felt compelled to put out there after my own WTF experience.

Back in December i was hunting hard for an E9X M3 in 6spd. I eventually settled for a DCT one but i did test drive a couple 6 spd’s that were available privately.

One of them I found off a BMW forum and drove downtown Toronto to test with intent to buy on the spot. We even agreed on a selling price via email before hand.

While i was test driving it i agreed to buy the car for the price we discussed but then he said some fukked $hit like: “I was just qualifying you as a buyer at that price, I actually want $3k more than that price if i’m going to sell it.”

Needless to say he wasted my time with that and on principal alone i refused to buy… that was less than 2 months ago and the guy now has the car on autorader for over $1,000 less than i offered to buy it from him that day… $4k less than he switched to in the car and who knows how much lower he’ll go given that he listed it at that.

what the hell is wrong with people and who does that on a test-drive after agreeing to a price…???

i’ve dealt with a few dingbats who I’ve called and they inform me that price was just to get peoples attention and they want xxxx more for it. didnt even bother making an offer on them. i was lucky enough to find out before driving to see vehicles.

In for sweet stories since I just started in the car sales business a couple weeks ago.

what an idiot…

Wow Bing, thats bad. I’d shoot him an email based on the autotrader ad and just fuck with him. haha.

I already did that as soon as i saw the ad :slight_smile:

he hasn’t replied.

I had a guy drive from Cleveland to look at my GSXR when it was for sale (assume bikes qualify for this as well). One light scratch on the front fender and he walked away because of that, didn’t even make me an offer, got in his truck and drove back to Cleveland.

^ that’s redic.

I had some old dude in a porsche boxster drive 2 hours to my place this summer to look at a mint set of 370z sport wheels i had for sale, looks at them for 5 minutes, brags about his other cars and left… no wonder people like this are unmarried and no kids… probably for the best.

SERIOUSLY…

Fucking d-bag shot himself in the foot on that one.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

[sarcasm] shoulda disclosed dawg [/sarcasm]

When you say you’ve got an almost flawless bike with 8000+ miles on it, whatdya expect. It was so small I didn’t even know it was there till he pointed it out.

I drove from Buffalo to Long Island (Land Rover Huntington) to look at an RR that was for sale. I called the night before and mentioned I’d be stopping by in the morning to look it over. When I got there I was told the truck had sold just a few hours before… along with a 2nd RR that were to be driven to the docks, put in a shipping container and sent to Nicaragua on the next boat. Some drug king pin snatched it up before I could, lol.

I was looking to buy a Miata once.

Emailed the guy. Showed my interest.

THAT DAY I called and said I’m on my way. I’m going to purchase it, sight unseen and I’ll be there in a couple hours as I needed to find a baby sitter or something and go to the bank.

I got my buddy to come with me, short notice, so he could drive the car back and I could bring kids with me in grocery getter.

Went to the bank.

Drove from Kitchener to Thorold.

I show up and duder wouldn’t answer door. Ok. I call house. He answers and comes outside.

Him - “Sorry man, the new owner just drove it away.”
Me - “Uhhh I called you to say I’m on my way and gave you my cell number.”
Him - “I didn’t think you were coming so I sold it to this guy.”
Me - “If that was the case, why not call me to confirm I’m coming or even to let me know it’s gone instead of wasting my time, money, effort and my friends.”

Burnouts.

yeah that’s a tough one when more than one person is coming to buy something… i’ve had that happen to me when i was buying my G35.

I drove 3/4 of the way to some city 30 min south of Rochester with my Son and the guy texted me when i was 20 minutes out that it sold.

yeah i was pissed but what you gonna do… someone got there first.

I think most of us have been that guy that got there first only to screw other dudes.

I did this once with a black S13 hatchback in Mississauga 11 years ago off SON… 2 other buyers showed up as i was waiting for the tow truck to tow it away :slight_smile:

This is a great thread I lawd. On a honest note, alot of people are pure douchebags that could give 2 fucks, and just not be bothered with. It’s a simple call or text to prevent time being wasted, but instead they can’t be bothered…

Shit happened to me with my 240sx, dood in Toronto had it up for 3 grand, I told him 1500. He said hes get guys offering him 1900, if I do 2 grand its mine and he’ll tell the other guys to not bother. Told him i’ll offer him 1900 too and see if the other guys were serious because I’ve had too many people tell me shit like that to coerce me to buy it on the spot for a bit more money, and kinda try to make it seem like it’s gonna go unless you act now. Told him I’ll come by at 5 'cause he’s got 6 more people coming between 2 and 5. Got to Toronto at 2, sat near his house, ate a whole bunch of munchies and smoked a bit with my buddy while we killed three hours. Might be creepy but I was telling myself no one was gonna show. I knew it, no one else came, walked up to his house at 5:30, told me I was late, I said yeah, so is everyone else apparently. Told him what I did, explained to him I know no ones looking at it. He finally said haven’t had anyone look at it for months. Offered him a grand, told me 2, i said okay, no. He said 1800 I said 1400, he said 1600. Fine, done trying. Bought it. As I was getting in it, he tried to get me to stay 'cause he had a guy coming down that offer him 3 grand. Smiled at him, started my car, and peaced the fuck out and left him with a huge frown.

^rofl best one yet

I’ve put deposits on so many cars and told the person “I’m on my way” only to have them call me and tell me they are sold. People don’t value an agreed price and a deposit anymore, especially if it’s something that’s “difficult” to find.

i hate to profile (no i don’t) but i would wager that guy’s family heritage was not North American, Western European, Australian, Japanese, South or Central American.

Not totally true. When I bought my Z the guy and I agreed on price and everything. I called him a day or two later and he said a local guy was coming down from upstate (California) to take a serious look at it. I told him “hold on, the agreement was that I would buy the car at the price we agreed.” He realized what he was doing and actually agreed with me and decided to call the other guy and let him know it was too late. Stand up guy. Four + years later, I still communicate with him often…never met face to face.