Review: My car purchase from Steve2k.

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?224069-1993-BMW-325i-5-speed-4-door&highlight=bmw

Recently I picked up Steve’s 93 bmw 325i. I texted him to go check it out he was accomodating to my crappy availability. Went and took a look at his house. Car looked good, I couldn’t drive it because of the ball joints and it wasn’t plated but it sounded fine. He gave me a no bullshit price. “Here’s what I’ll take for it” type of deal. It was the number I had in my head so I gave him cash, took the title and got it registered. Again was accomodating to my crappy schedule I was able to pick it up the next evening. Drove it home, well actually had it AAA’d home because the ball joints were super hammered.

Now the fun part. Next day I go to make a list of what needs replacing in the front end so I can get my ball joints ordered up. Get it jacked up and the front struts are blown. Not only are they blown, the fucking rears are blown too. The brakes are shot as well. Sweet. Kinda pissed but whatever, its a used and I knew steve didn’t drive it so chalk that up to bad luck. Make my list and figure I’ll give the interior a good cleaning and get familiar with all the cool features and gadgets. Well I dropped something on the floor, picked it up…fucking carpets wet. The entire interior carpet was soaked, there was a thin layer of standing water in the rear wells. WTF right? Find out the sunroof leaks badly.

And for the even funner part, he was well aware of these issues and didn’t disclose them to me. I made this thread to let the rest of you guys know how shitty this deal was and what a fucking pain I’ve just acquired. I don’t want money back, I don’t want to hear any bullshit excuses. I think it’s crap that someone would do something like this. I’m one of the nicest dudes to deal with and I got taken advantage of.

Buyer beware.

you bought a 19 year old car, what do you expect?

Honesty? Or a price that reflects the issues?

long time members selling to long time members…I would expect more honesty as well. Especially since this dude seems to work on cars a bit.

An honest seller. Buyer beware is something I expect off craigslist.
Screwing a fellow member of a community is bad mojo.

Every single car I have ever sold has had any issues openly disclosed and pending problems, if needed. (I.E. E30 to Dawn / GTi to Jam)

Maybe he really didn’t know…?

Highly doubt steve knew the full extent of the issues. Certainly not a shady guy.

WOW. Shitty if as presented in this thread. I read the ad and considered the car myself…none of those issues were disclosed beyond ball joints. Curious what the seller has to say about all this. IN for dramatic result.

No bias either way, but Steve never drove the car, my assumption is that his description of the front end issues was based on the diagnosis of the previous owner. Not that, that makes it ok, however I HIGHLY doubt it was on purpose. I hope you guys discussed these issues personally prior to posting this.

The issues were disclosed to him. I’m not interested in what he has to say to be honest. I’m pretty disgusted with the whole thing and like I said, I don’t want compensation or anything like that. I want to let anyone else know to be aware. I think he’s a nice dude, the actual sale was smooth and he was a pleasure to deal with. I’m just not happy with being left in the dark of the known issues.

Can you provide us insight on how you know that the issues were disclosed to him. Do you know the previous owner or something?

Yeah, you got it.

In on one. I will reserve my superior wisdom and judgment until both parties have spoken.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/49105main_popcorn.jpg

How much did you pay? Did he actively try to hide anything?

Get real. Having a shitload of standing water in the car is ridiculous.

In for bullshit excuses.

Not sure where you’re going with this. Actively trying to hide anything = lying. Which it doesn’t sound like he did. But, as previously stated, being an honest seller means disclosing known issues ESPECIALLY when dealing with fellow board members.

Shitty to hear. Ryan is a stand up guy who would never deal with someone like this. I really hope this can all be explained.

my e30 does the same thing now that I fixed the floor rot, but its not something I try to hide.

Hope this is somehow sorted out, even though ieatpaint doesn’t seem interested.

In the meantime I too will be grabbing my popcorn.

I find it hard to believe steve would intentially try to hide issues about a car from someone

Maybe he wasn’t aware of the other issues?

I only make mention of this because I got a car from another member on here and I have a 2 page list of issues 99% of which he didn’t know about.

I think his idea of a car being in complete working condition is just different from some of the rest of us. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, he seems like a nice guy.