HF chop saw

Anyone have any luck with a HF chop saw, i need to pick one up. Its either HF or i was going to check out sears since i have a few gift cards to burn up. First project is a couple of 2 x 6 box steel i have to make a few cuts on.

I consider HF tools like Vegas. You give the guy your money and it’s time to gamble. I know some people who swear by them and some who swear at them. If you’re not going to be using it every day for the next ten years, it should probably work fine.

get the warranty, break it, return it, repeat lol.

i’m on like my eigth electric impact, like 4 - 5 grinders etc

Want something that’ll last you forever get a stihl chopsaw

XJ Rocker replacements? (I just ordered the steel for mine).

I don’t know if I would trust the HF saw for a thick material cut, I am going to look at renting a good one for a day.

Yea i mean it deff wont be used daily but here and there yes. I guess ill go check them out tomorrow see what they look like in person.

Yea thats what im doing they have a “HD” one Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977 ill take a look see how it is

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Id prob be way better off with this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM841925301P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3&isABTestAvl=true

Nick uses the shit out of it and so far so good. Cuts straight and the clamp setup on it is pretty nice.

Nick and I did some shopping around for chop saws. I don’t remember why but I didn’t like the dewalt one and home depot and ended up buying this one. This saw gets 5 stars from me.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202201510&R=202201510

I got that piece of shit. mines orange/ chipped up grey about 6-7 years old, still works good. Org. brushes and cord. Cuts 4inch I know for sure.
Maybe mine is more shitty, but when I got it put the blade in, and it was offs the slot in the table :uhh: So just cut a new slot. The little chain broke, so it springs up more the it should, but works, it kinds better you have more room for deburring the tube on the side of the wheel now. The movable jaw on the clap sucks. it will only clamp tubing up to like 2inch. And and 1/4 flat stock gose under it and it flexs off the table. So I dont clamp anything, Just sqare up the fixed back of the clamp off the blade. Most of the time you free hand chopin a Ubend anyway, or a cheater cut

I think your referring to a “targa saw”. Hand held bastard with a two stroke motor on it, usually used for cutting concrete and such (can be used for cutting metal as well). These guys are talking about an abrasive chop saw, bench top styles.

But, yes, the Sthil saws are awesome.

I have a rigid from home depot that works well

As a rule I’ll never buy anything else from harbor freight that has a motor.

Electric impact - couldn’t even loosen lugs that I had broken free by hand
Cordless drill combo - dead in 2 months
Raw water pump for pumping water off my pool cover - Used maybe 10 times and I can no longer run it off GFI because of a voltage leak. You can feel a small shock when you reach in the water with the pump running.

Aluminum racing jack - 5 years old and still my go to jack
Huge white/orange jack - 7 years old and my go to jack when the aluminum isn’t big enough
Jack stands - Still standing tall after 8 years
Torque wench - 5 years old, still good. Seems to do 100 ft/lbs the same as my buddies craftsman

ive used the HF saw and i had no qualms with it, just put a good blade/wheel/disc whatever on it.

I’m replacing mine with 4’’ x 2’’ 3/16 rectangle stock. I already got the steel, to go along with the epic total floor replacement, unibody reinforcement, etc etc. I built a tank lol

That ridgid one looks pretty decent i might swing by the depot and check it out

I have the Rigid one with the D grip handle. It works great and I (and others) have used the shit out of it for years now. I think Im on my 4th or 5th disc.

Dan

I would It seems like a very solid piece so far. I guess it just depends how much you will use it. Oh and blades are pretty cheap at home depot too.

4x2 dosn’t stick out far enough, imo. I just cut and fold the rear quarters today (because of Rust), I have to modify my rear bumper for a little protection. From the body line up the jeep is in pretty good shape but below it is a disaster that is the only reason I am doing all this.

now that I think about it mine been really good. dan said hes on 4-5 discs, Ive been thu a ton. I know I have about 5 of them “saved” at about 9-10inches were they will not cut thu 3inch tubing fully, to use on smaller tubing. And probably thrown out 10 more wheels. On 10-15 catbacks it was getting used alot for 6-10hrs I noticed it was getting warm, and it got rained on a few times.

evolution saws.

http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/

once you use a dry cut saw (not cold cut) you never go back.
3x faster than abrasive saws, you don’t have to worry about your blade getting smaller and smaller
the work piece is NEARLY burr free, they advertise an instant workable finish but sometimes there’s a tiny burr on it. If you’re doing exact and precise things you’ll want to kick it off with a dynafile, otherwise it’s fine.

Then if you want to cut wood with it, go for it.
I prefer using a steel blade for steel, and multipurpose blades for wood.
That way if you do cut through nails it doesn’t matter at all.
I’ve cut through hundreds of nails with the same blade, doesn’t hurt it any and you probably won’t even notice when you do hit a nail.

The blades are a bit expensive, but you still get more usage out of a blade than you will a comparable number of abrasive discs. Blades are something around $60-70/ea… little more for stainless.
they can just be retoothed or filed down back to usable again, which is free if you know how to do it yourself.
Usually I just file the ones that are able to until it’s not worth it anymore, then just have it retoothed.

They don’t throw sparks all over you, and down the back of your neck.
They do however throw these little fishhook type things, but I’d take them any day over the grit that abrasive saws do.
The work piece is not hot in the least.

P.S.
I use the miter saw, Rage3.
I also have the Rage230, but hardly ever use it.
I mostly end up using my makita circular… since the 230 is overkill for anything but sheet metal/plate, but that’s plasma cutter territory… so like I said, it’s nearly useless to me except for a random occasion like if I have to cut 1/16 sheet or something and I don’t want to risk a plasma warping it.

well Alex actually has 2 chop saws, the dewalt dry cut and the rigid abrasive. and as far as the dewalt goes (cant speak about other dry cuts) the dewalt is louder, leaves just as much burr to clean up, rips teh shit out of stainless 16 gauge and cost 2 1/2 times more money. and it chucked its first tooth on the 3rd or 4th cut i ever made with it.

I want to take that saw and shove it up up the ass of every CEO in the company.

But hey … if anyone wants one, Alex has one thats just collecting dust in his garage … cause i wont fucking touch the thing anymore. Might be good on 1/4" wall tubing but it makes scrap metal out of 304l 16g mandrel bends